Life > Academics

Looking Back on This School Year: What I Learned

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

The 2021-2022 school year was a long, yet also super short, one. It was filled with ups and downs of all kinds, but overall, I simply can’t believe that my junior year of college is already coming to an end! I learned a lot from my classes but also about myself, so I feel like I can definitely say that this school year has been a success. Let’s take a look at what happened this past school year and what I learned from it all…

Fall 2021 Semester 

The Fall semester started off full of excitement and the promise of new possibilities. I was in a triple suite in North Hall with my best friend/roommate, a suitemate, and my guinea pig Gio. I was enrolled in five classes, most of which I was interested in and excited to learn about. These were ED309 (Sheltered English Immersion), ED327 (Literacy Assessment), ENG209 (Intro to Literature), HON305 (Stories of Origin), and SCI104 (Science for Educators II). Class-wise, I had an awesome semester and learned a bunch. I felt even more prepared to student teach and be a future teacher (which is the goal!) and genuinely enjoyed almost all of my classes and the professors I had. 

During this semester, a bunch of my friends and I also started turning 21, so there was a lot to celebrate! My friend Jenna turned 21 in September, then my friend Kiz in October, and then finally myself in November. It was awesome getting to spend more time with and celebrating some of my best friends, and then being able to go out and order a drink in a restaurant was pretty cool too. 

Overall, this semester was (mostly!) a pretty good one. There were some suitemate issues towards the middle and end, a friend-breakup with someone I thought was a good friend, and of course the stress of final exams and projects. I got through it all though, and I have my best friends to thank for being so supportive and having fun with me through it all. 

Spring 2022 Semester 

This current Spring semester truly came out of nowhere and ended just as quickly. It started off rocky as my roommate and I were dealing with new suitemates who didn’t respect us, our stuff, or my guinea pig, and this also meant we were in constant contact with people at the University to try and find a better living solution. We ended up being able to move into Caroline Carpenter house, one of the campuses Victorian Houses and dorm buildings. We moved into a double room on the third floor that is so spacious and honestly just gives off such good vibes. I lived in one of Lasell’s Victorian houses during my freshman year so it was cool to get that experience again, and my roommate has never lived in one before so it was a new experience for her! 

Class-wise, this semester was a little busier as I was enrolled in six classes. These were ED338 (Inclusive Education), ED344 (Science Content & Curriculum for Grades 1-6), ED418 (Integrated Instruction), PHIL302 (Ethical Reasoning), PSYC239 (Behavior Analysis), and SOC214 (Family Diversity). I still feel like I’ve learned a ton from each of these classes, and I’ve had some really cool new professors this semester.

Overall, this semester flew by so quickly and with a lot going on. I was working, taking classes, involved in clubs (and on the E-board for most of them!), hanging out with my really good friends, and apartment hunting with my roomie. There’s a lot to look forward to in these last few weeks (and a lot to get done), but a lot was learned and accomplished this semester. 

Final Thoughts

Again, I just can’t believe that my junior year of college is coming to an end and I’ll be a senior next year. I have a feeling that this summer and next year are gonna be a little hectic, but I know that throughout it all I’ll look back fondly on this year and reminisce with the good friends I made and kept this year. I’m looking forward to signing my first apartment lease with my roommate this summer (and of course, getting to decorate our first apartment together!!), working a summer job with kids, and of course, coming back to Lasell for my senior year :)

Attends Lasell University and is currently a senior (class of 2023). An elementary education major with a minor in child and adolescent studies. A proud member of the LGBTQ+ community, I love the color yellow, crocs, and all kinds of tea!