Style

Let’s Talk Racism in the Fashion Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Racism is something that has long been ignored by the fashion industry but has been ever-present since its beginning. 

Back in the 90s, Naomi Campbell would talk openly about how hairdressers would refuse to work with her as they didn’t know how to work with black hair. Campbell said that certain countries would refuse to run her ads, seeing her as not as profitable as her fellow supermodels. 

When Iman retired from modeling, she created a makeup line, inspired by the fact she had to mix foundations to get one to work in her shade. 

These were two of the top supermodels of their time and even they were treated differently due to their race. Campbell recently stated that “now I would like to know that models [of color] get the same opportunities and fees in advertising” and there is no better time to address this deep-rooted issue than now. 

The summer of 2020 saw a rise in Black Lives Matter protests due to the killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and countless others. While innocent people being killed by the police is unfortunately nothing new, it is rare that it remained in the headlines for as long as it did. It seemed as though every celebrity and company on Instagram made an official statement to condemn racism and promise to do better.

Gucci declared that “our unity to combat racism and to fight for equality, as individuals, and as a company, is stronger than ever”, along with donations to NAACP and Campaign Zero. Prada stated that they’ll “raise their voice and continue to work with our Diversity and Inclusion Council to fight for racial justice everywhere”. Chanel, who posted three black squares to fit with their Instagram theme, committed to “fostering a culture of trust, respect, and conclusion”.

However, to really make a difference, they need to do more than post-black squares and release statements. The industry needs to hire models beyond the “blue eyes, blond hair” mold. They need to also hire hairdressers and makeup artists behind the scenes that know how to work with black features. They need to amplify the visions of creators of color, so that fashion can truly be for all.

People finally have had enough with day to day racism going unchecked in the fashion industry. The truth is that racism doesn’t just exist through the eyes of a police officer. It is present in every country and every industry: fashion is no exception. With the latest Spring/Summer season coming up, they can and they should do better to not just speak out against racism but to actively be against it.

Millie Rose

Lasell '24

Millie is a Sophomore at Lasell, where she majors in Fashion Media and Marketing. She is both British and an identical twin, so she's basically Annie from The Parent Trap. Her biggest accomplishment is being one of the top 0.01% of Taylor Swift listeners on Spotify.