This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Commitment can be a scary word for some of us. You might immediately think of the idea of commitment in regard to relationships. Someone else might think of commitment on a sports team. According to the dictionary, commitment consists of responsibility, dedication, and promises. With these ideas in mind, commitment can be applied to anything. So, let’s dive into our journaling prompt for this week:

Are you under-committing or over-committing yourself?

Is there a specific area in your life that you commit too much time to? Or, is there a specific area in your life that you commit too little time to? 

Let’s brainstorm some ideas to get the ball rolling: 

1. Are you over-committing time to work or school in a way that is preventing you from enjoying life as it is?

2. Are you struggling to commit to a hobby you’d like to try because you’re afraid of failure? 

3. With remote school, learning may feel like a chore now. Would you say you’re under-committing to that?

4. Have you realized that you haven’t been prioritizing your health? 

In the past, when it came to health, I would say that I had a tendency to overexert myself physically. Yet, when it comes to eating properly and portioning meals I mistakenly ate in ways that simply aren’t good for you. I was under-committing myself to nutrition and over-committing to exercise. As I came across research and time went by, I found that I am still struggling to balance the two, however, I’m much happier now and want to continue self-improving. 

I also realized a similar commitment issue in one of my past relationships. I was over-committing myself to someone who wasn’t even doing the bare minimum for me. I’m relieved to say that having that part of my life removed has made me a much calmer person. 

Over-committing in school came to be an issue during my freshman spring semester in college.  After quarantine and switching to online education, I realized that I never had this much free time before. Although every day was different pre-covid, I was constantly doing school work and putting my energy into just school. This led me to overwork myself mentally. When I came back home, it was then that I started to have alone time and recharge. 

*This writing prompt is inspired by @calmerrecords on Tiktok*

Jade Diaz

Lasell '23

Jade is a Senior at Lasell, majoring in Fashion Merchandising and Management. She adores figurative art, and enjoys being creative in any way possible. She is sneaker- obsessed and loves the world of fashion. One fun fact is that her dog Finn, is named after a Star Wars character named FN-2187.