It’s Hard Balancing School And Work, So Here Are Four Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

This year, both college and the workplace are implementing structures that are totally new to us. This can make students feel overwhelmed, and worry about how to manage multiple things going on at once. This semester, I took a full week’s course load with an extra class, for a total of six classes. I also have an internship for ten hours a week and work another job both Saturday and Sunday on weekends. This may seem like a lot, but with simple planning and structure, making sure you are at the top of your game in each situation can be very easy. Here are some of our tips on how to properly balance your week!

1. Use Your Planner

Investing in a planner is one of the best ways to stay organized. I use my planner every day, and am able to track what classes I have, what assignments are due, and am able to see what my weekly shifts are. By doing this, I am able to see what times I can carve out for homework and study groups, so I can stay on top of my game and keep my grades high. 

2. Focus On One Thing At A Time

When we have a lot going on, we can get sidetracked by thinking about it all at once. It makes us worry and feel that we are not prepared to complete whichever task we have at hand. My solution to this is easy if you are not currently working on it, relax and don’t stress over it. It does not make sense for me to stress about work on a Monday if I am not working again until the weekend. Monday should be a time for me to worry about tackling my weekly assignments and getting everything together for my internship during the week. 

3. Let Your Employer Know if You Are Overwhelmed

When I first started my job, I was working a lot of hours. I seemed to be getting very overwhelmed because I felt that I was unable to spend enough time studying with the work schedule I had. When I explained this to my boss, we were able to work out a schedule for me that would allow me to get enough hours, but still allow me to have the time to study and feel less stressed. 

4. Ask for Help

Sometimes I feel like I have so much going on that I get overwhelmed, which can make it harder for me to understand what is going on in my classes, internship, and job. When I am lost, I turn to my professors and supervisors for any necessary questions. This allows me to get a clear answer and allows me to fully grasp the concept I  am trying to learn. 

These tips are some great ways to feel less stressed and be able to succeed in all areas that you are trying to tackle. Have you used any of these recently or have other suggestions? Let us know!

Anna Wall

Lasell '22

Lasell University Event Management Student, Class of 2022. She loves llamas, event planning, and country music :)