Internship Guide For Beginners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

The Connected Learning program is what sets Lasell apart from other schools. Our unique program requires at least one internship or practicum for all majors. What students have been given is an amazing opportunity to gain real world experience in our fields by working with professionals who were once where you are now.

It can get a little overwhelming at times. Maybe you’re trying to sift through all the possibilities and narrow it down to the perfect internship for you, or maybe you don’t have an idea where to start. Either way, this is where the Office of Internship Programs comes to the rescue!

Before you find your internship: Plan for Required Courses

Have a meeting with your advisor or Sarah Burrows, Director of Internship Programs, to see where an internship fits best into your academic plan (some majors require you to take prerequisites before you enroll in the fieldwork course). Remember, you must be enrolled in the fieldwork course parallel to the time of your internship. This being said, you should start applying to internships two to three months before you enroll in the fieldwork course. You must be enrolled in an internship class to receive academic credit for your internship. Luckily, the fieldwork course is available in the fall, spring, and summer semesters.

If you don’t know where to start looking: Resources and Where to Find Them

Looking for an internship is easier said than done. If you have no idea where to start, we recommend you go to the Internship Database (located under the “Employment & Internships” tab on the right hand side of MyLasell) and see where students with your major have interned previously. Additionally, look at other public databases like www.internships.com for an overall review of available internships or Chamber Intern Connect for Boston-based internships.

Getting the internship: Tips and Tricks

Once you have created a list of internships to apply to, bring your resume and cover letters to Career Services to make sure they are error-free. You can make an appointment online or visit during drop in hours – Tuesday and Thursday from 1:30-3:30. While you’re there, practice your interview techniques and get tips so you can nail that interview. Once you’ve applied for the internship, follow up with your potential employers within 1-2 weeks of submitting your application if you have not heard back from them.

At any point during this process, do not be afraid to reach out to Sarah Burrows with any questions or concerns you may have. You can reach her at sburrows@lasell.edu or make an appointment to stop by her office, located on the second floor of Klingbeil. Make sure that you are taking advantage of the resources we have to offer.

Visit our page on MyLasell for a complete list of resources including FAQ’s, resume and cover letter guides, and interview tips. Be sure to follow @LCInternships on Twitter and like our Facebook page, Lasell College Internships, for the most up-to-date internship postings and advice!

Corinne is an associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus. She graduated with a degree in Fashion Communication & Promotions major from Lasell College in August 2018. Before joining the team full time she served as staff writer, social media manager, president and co-campus correspondent of her chapter over her three years at Lasell. Corinne is passionate about sustainable fashion and fashion show production, and served as College Fashion Week Intern for two years. In her free time she enjoys exploring new museums, going to concerts and traveling to new cities.