This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

This Women’s Week, I had the amazing opportunity to interview my cousin Jodali Lugo. She has been my role model ever since I was 8 years old. Jodali was the first one in our immediate family to attend and graduate from college. Seeing her travel and being studious greatly affected my own life. It fueled my ambition to make sure I acquire my degree and live the life I see for myself. Watching her grow as a person to be the woman that she is now makes me so proud to call her my sister from another mister. 

Q. Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

My name is Jodali Lugo, I’m 27 years old and I was born in Salem, Massachusetts. I currently live in Randolph, where I just bought my first home. I am first-generation from my family that migrated from Bani, Dominican Republic. Outside of work, I love traveling, discovering new restaurants, and spending time with family and friends.

Q. What college did you attend? What did you major in?

I graduated from Suffolk University in 2017 – with my Bachelor’s in Marketing and a minor in International Business. 

Q. What is your current job position?

I am a Food Service Key Account manager for Northern New England at Pepsico. I manage key customer relationships including customer agreements that deliver against internal operating plans and the customer expectations. My customers vary in segments such as restaurants, recreational, and food distributors. Some of my top customers are Hynes Convention center in Boston, Big Night Live (which owns a few Boston nightlife bars/restaurants, including 4 restaurants inside Foxwoods’s casino), and Sysco Boston, which is one of the biggest food distributors in the Northeast. 

Q. When did you figure out that this was what you wanted to do with your life? 

To be honest, I’m still figuring it out. I’m still young and this is just the beginning of my professional career. I knew I always wanted to study marketing and or advertising, so I’m just trying to soak in as much knowledge as I can. I want to enjoy this chapter in life, go with the flow, and see how far it takes me. 

Q. How has being a 1st gen. college student in your family affected your perspective of college?    

As cliché as it sounds, I realized the possibilities are endless in college. Although it may not be for everyone, if you show up every day, stay persistent, and trust the process, you’re bound to find your true passion or purpose. It’s also a great networking opportunity. You never know the people you may meet and where that relationship can take you later in life. 

Q. You are one of the only Latina in your position currently in Massachusetts, how does that make you feel?

I feel proud, accomplished, but a bit anxious at the same time. I feel a sense of pressure to not let down my family for all the challenges and adversities they had to face when they migrated to this country.  Especially my grandmother and mother – my grandmother for leaving everything behind for her children to live a better life here in the US. And for my mom who had me at the young age of 17, and not having the opportunity to go to college and follow her passion of becoming a nurse. But they’re my main drive for my motivation. I owe it all to them. 

Q. Do you believe that being bilingual was a benefit that allowed you to obtain your current job?

Absolutely. The demand for bilingual employees continues to increase especially with Spanish becoming the second-speaking language in the nation. It helped contribute to my success in my previous role too. I increased the company’s target in volume and revenue in the urban community by just speaking Spanish. Being bilingual, you’re able to understand different perspectives and you learn how to navigate between the complex aspects of different cultures. I was able to make some remarkable connections with our Spanish customers and my company loved that. They recognized the benefits of having a bilingual employee and that made me a standout candidate for the next upcoming roles.

Q. What is your point of view working in a heavily male-based career field? How has it altered your work ethic?

I’m not going to lie; you absolutely must have thick skin and not be afraid to speak your mind. You must work twice as hard and not let whatever comments they may have affect you. It’s important to support the few women in the industry too. By uniting as women, we can work smarter and not fold into old patterns of sexism in the industry. Trust in yourself. Stand up for others and continue to climb toward your goals. Succeeding in a male-dominated industry is a challenge, but it is not impossible. If you are willing to put in the work, show up with results and use the resources available for you to expand, you will be able to overcome any obstacles in your path.

Q. You’re constantly traveling the world, living new experiences. Which country that you’ve traveled to is your favorite and why?

So far, my favorite city has been Rome, Italy. The culture, the people, the food, the fashion and obviously the history. It’s the perfect blend of history and the modern world.

Q. You just bought a house, congratulations! How has this recent achievement made you more excited for the future?

Thank you! I’m excited and hopeful. But it’s certainly keeping me occupied. I’ve always had an interest in owning real estate, and I decided to take a risk in buying a property that needed a lot of work. I figured what better way to learn the truth in and out of the real estate business than buying a property that needed a complete makeover. This attainment will surely help me understand the knowledge of building equity and how to manage to own multiple properties in the future.  

Q. Is there any piece of advice you would give to any aspiring women working towards their goals?

Don’t stress over the small stuff or worry what others may think about you. Be undeniably you, be authentic. It’s important to embrace your uniqueness; because when you recognize your unique value, you can leverage it to make a difference.

Happy International Women’s Day!

Hello there! I am Yalines Medrano and I am a Forensic Science major at Lasell University with the class of 2024. I am from Peabody, Massachusetts and I love to read, watch anime, and hang out with friends! I am so excited to be involved in HER Campus!