Style > Fashion

How to Transition Your Summer Wardrobe Into Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Fashion is something that is always changing. Most often it is disposable and not sustainable. We buy shirt after shirt, pants after pants. Discarding in one way or another, items after they aren’t on trend anymore, they don’t fit, or they just aren’t in season. Maximizing our wardrobe and incorporating our fashion pieces throughout the entirety of the year not only saves money but is more sustainable. Keep reading if you want to hear how to transition your summer wardrobe into fall!

Layering

Over the summer I’m sure you have collected many tank tops that you put to good use. There is no reason that these tops need to go back in bins and collect dust until next summer. Some of my favorite ways to style tanks in the fall are to layer over a t-shirt, a turtle neck, over dresses, etc. 

Not only can you layer underneath your summer pieces, but you can also add to your outfits by layering over top. Throwing on a denim jacket, a cardigan, or a blouse over one of your summer tops mixes up your look letting you incorporate multiple pieces into one outfit. This then provides for endless opportunities in terms of outfits even by just changing your layering piece, 

Accessories and Shoes

Maybe you’ve been wearing your favorite maxi skirt or dress all summer, but you’re unsure of how you can change up the look so it is not so repetitive. Switching out a pair of sandals for some nice leather boots is an easy way to make this transition. Adding a hat, whether that is a beanie or a felt style that can create a cozy feel to an outfit you can now transition into fall. 

Fall Colors

If you’re still looking to wear those cream-heeled sandals you purchased in July, think of pairing them with a dark wash of jeans and a taupe-colored top. Even a pair of shorts you wore religiously through the summer months can be easily paired with a black blazer. This allows you to style those summer items in a new way just by switching up the colors you put with them. 

What tips are you going to incorporate into your wardrobe this fall? Let’s maximize our closets and minimize our waste!

Julia McNicol is a junior at Lasell University studying Fashion Media and Marketing with a minor in Journalism. She loves exploring the city, shopping, and watching a good rom-com! Her Instagram can be found at @juliamcnicol as well as @juliashannonxoxo for fashion-specific content.