This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

A first audition is always nerve racking, no matter how prepared you feel. With a panel of people watching, and you all alone on the stage, the lights can feel blinding. However, it doesn’t always have to be like this. From someone who’s had a few auditions, and friends in the world of theatre and music, here are some things I’ve learned that helped me most. 

To begin, be prepared. This seems obvious, but your audition begins the moment you walk into the room. Come with any paperwork, music, resume, or headshot you need. When receiving the information for the audition, this list should be provided. If you are unsure, ask the director! They like to see you are organized. 

Additionally, wear something appropriate for the part, and the audition. You should be comfortable, and presentable. If the audition requires you to dance, make sure you are ready for that too. Sometimes, you can even look the part. This can include wearing something related to the time of the show, or the character you are auditioning for. 

Next, make sure you practice. When running through a song, check the sheet music for timing, and note changes. Sometimes these aren’t always clear when listening to someone else sing. Also, auditions often are accompanied by a piano, so finding the instrumentals to your song, and singing with that is always a good idea. This is so you can become comfortable with your voice when there is not someone else singing. It will also help with timing, and not getting distracted by the piano. 

Auditions are always going to be scary, but coming prepared with confidence is all you can do for yourself. Take a deep breath and do your best! 

Jade is a psychology major graduating with the class of 2024. In her free time, you can find Jade listening to music, cooking, or hanging out with friends