This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

The holiday season can be overwhelming for anyone. With pressure around family, gifts, and parties, it’s understandable that many people get anxious around this time of year. These stressors can take an even stronger toll on those of us who may be a bit more sensitive to things like lights, smells, textures, you name it! I’ve personally struggled for many years trying to seem unbothered and cool at holiday parties when really all I wanted to do was run away. Luckily, I have a routine down with all sorts of helpful tricks that make the holidays not only bearable, but fun. 

Understand Your Own Triggers 

Before you arrive at a holiday party, it’s beneficial to spend some time thinking about what challenges you might face. For folks with light sensitivity, perhaps holiday lights are upsetting. If you are particularly bothered by noise, consider how many people are there. Before you spiral and start stressing about these variables, give yourself the opportunity to think of creative responses. Maybe you’re the person at the party wearing cool holiday sunglasses or rocking themed earmuffs. You always have the opportunity to be the person who makes others feel more comfortable using their own coping mechanisms and accommodations. 

Dress Comfortably 

One of the biggest stressors for me can be what I’m going to wear to a holiday event. I want to look nice without being uncomfortable. I especially avoid any fabrics or clothes I know upset me like scratchy sweaters or nylon tights. It’s better to go with a clean pair of jeans and a T-shirt than torture myself all night in an uncomfortable outfit. Usually, I’m around family who don’t care what I’m wearing. Try opting this year for an outfit that you know you’ll be comfortable in. If you need to dress it up a bit, add a nice jacket or some fancy jewelry. 

Prep A Comfort Bag

I never go to a big event without packing a sensory emergency bag. Mine usually includes items like fidget toys, noise-canceling headphones/earbuds, comfort items (for me, mini American Girl dolls), and emergency medications. In my opinion, it’s better to overpack than be stuck without something I really need at the moment. I like to leave mine in the car because it lets me have an excuse to dip out of the party for little breaks to go grab something. 

Take Breaks

Speaking of dipping out, I’m a huge fan of what I call “the Irish break”. Like the Irish goodbye (leaving a party without saying goodbye to anyone), the Irish break saves you from explaining yourself to anyone. Simply slip out a side door when no one is looking or dip into the bathroom for an extended moment of solitude. Breaks are essential to keeping up your party stamina and can get you out of a lot of stressful situations. You may want to tell a trusted friend that you’re taking a break in case anyone comes looking for you, but it’s also okay to come back to the party and say you were grabbing a new drink or taking a phone call outside. It’s your choice how public or how private you’d like to keep your coping mechanisms. 

However you celebrate the holidays, remember there are always ways to make it more bearable for yourself. Try some of these tips or come up with your own.  The holiday season is about joy and love, and you have a right to feel comfortable and safe in your environment. Most importantly, make sure you’re taking care of yourself. Happy holidays!

Julia LaPlante is the Vice President and Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Lasell. She oversees and assissts and E and S boards as well as the copy editing team. Away from Her Campus, Julia is a senior English major at Lasell. She works at Lasell's library as she studies towards her Masters in Library and Information Science. In her free time, Julia enjoys reading gothic literature, watching nerdy television shows, and walking in nature. Julia deeply believes in the importantce of mindfulness and chocolate to ones attitude.