Life > Academics

How to Get Out of a Reading Slump as a Humanities Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

I am an English major and the biggest bookworm around. However, I go through these reading slumps. It can be very hard to want to pick up a book for pleasure when I’ve just finished an endless amount of readings for classes. Over the years I have picked up a few tips and tricks that help me get out of these slumps and back to my bookworm self. 

Spacing Out Assigned Readings 

One of the biggest tactics I use to avoid a reading slump is to space out my assigned readings. I find if I procrastinate I am left with 100-200 pages of reading between my classes. Not only is this very overwhelming, but if it is something I am not enjoying it turns me off of reading for the day altogether. By breaking these assignments up and reading a little each day, I find myself more likely and excited to read what I want to read when I am done.

Re-Reading a Favorite 

Another tactic I use is re-reading an old favorite. Sometimes I just need something familiar and predictable to get me out of that slump. I have three. I tend to cycle through genres depending on my mood. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath if I am in more of a serious mood, Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Sepetys for a historical moment, and Heartstopper Series by Alice Osmen for some queer rom-com fun!

Fanfiction is Still Real Reading

Lastly, sometimes I just need a good spicy fanfiction. And I don’t want to hear it, fanfiction counts as reading. Some of these fanfictions are like 900 pages long. My personal poison is either Dramione fanfiction, Draco and Hermione from Harry Potter, or, Ava and Beatrice fanfiction from Warrior Nun. A recommendation if either of these interests you; Dramione, The Right Thing to Do By LovesBitca8, this is a 3-part series but could be read as a stand-alone. For Beatrice and Ava, Choose the Devil I Know over the Heaven I Don’t by Sapphic Stacks.

Ceci Wood

Lasell '24

Ceci is a Senior at Lasell University and is studying English. In her free time, you can find her reading, writing, making some banging playlists, or playing the sims!