This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

A new job is always a bit nerve-racking, especially when it’s your first job in the position or field. As someone who’s had a few jobs, there are some important things I’ve picked up on that have helped me feel more comfortable in the new space. 

The first thing I remember is to pay attention, and ask questions. In the training process, the worker showing you around will give you a guide to the workplace, which is always a really good opportunity to ask questions. It shows your engagement with what they are saying, and leads to fewer errors in the future. Additionally, if you are working with customers, and they see you asking questions, they tend to be more understanding rather than upset if you were to get something wrong later down the road. 

Next, coming to your first shifts on time and being prepared sets you up really well for a good first impression. This includes arriving on time, in uniform and ready for the day. Upon arrival, seeing a familiar face is always great, but introducing yourself is also important. New employees often know there is a new hire, but saying hello, and learning names quickly opens the floor for conversation further down the road. 

Once you feel comfortable and ready for your shifts, talking to employees is a really good way to become more comfortable. During times that seem less busy, asking employees first about work, and later about themselves leads to making friends with those who you work with, which always makes working 10x better. 

The most important part of a new job is confidence, and knowing that everyone starts somewhere. Sometimes it’s overwhelming to be surrounded by people who seem so experienced, but they all understand and were new employees at some point too. 

Jade is a psychology major graduating with the class of 2024. In her free time, you can find Jade listening to music, cooking, or hanging out with friends