Style

How To Tackle Black Friday During a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Black Friday is one of the most anticipated days of the year. Everyone is trying to get the best deals they can for their loved ones’ presents for the holiday season. However, with COVID-19, it is not as safe to be in the big crowds as it usually is. Due to this, many rules and other ways to shop safely have been put in place this year. 

1. Online Shopping- Cyber Monday is one of the biggest online shopping days of the year. However, to keep stores cleared, many businesses are starting online deals on Black Friday itself, to limit the number of people going in the store. 

2. Capacity Limits- There will be a limit of how many people are allowed in the store at one time, to keep up with social distancing. Because of this, people are going to try even harder to be the first ones in line, so that they are able to get the first pick of all of the items. 

3. Spending is projected to be low- Because the economy is not doing its best, and many people are still unemployed, spending money on holiday gifts is not a huge priority right now. People are going to be ordering and buying gifts closer to the holiday when they determine how much money they are able to spend. 

4. People don’t know what to buy- When shopping online on Black Friday, you have to know exactly what you want so that they do not run out of stock. However, due to uncertain times, no one knows what they need. Kids do not really need as much stuff for school, and many adults do not need many things for work, since a lot of it is online. Due to this, people are not totally sure what to buy, which may require them to wait until it gets closer to the holiday so that they can see what everyone is doing and what they need. 

Those who are going shopping in-person this year need to be careful of social distancing and make sure they are wearing their masks at all times. This will ensure the greatest amount of safety possible. Make sure to look into online shopping this year. It may not be the same, but it is the safest way to be a COVID-friendly shopper.

Anna Wall

Lasell '22

Lasell University Event Management Student, Class of 2022. She loves llamas, event planning, and country music :)