This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

This year more than ever, you might be inspired to register to vote so you can perform your civic duty. While the states of New England all have common requirements, such as being a US citizen, they all have different ways to register to vote.

Massachusetts

You must register to vote in person or online 20 days before election day, or if registering by mail it must be postmarked 20 days before the election. You must be of 18 years of age (or 16, if pre registering), and must not be currently incarcerated for a felony conviction. You can register to vote online with an RMV issued ID. If you don’t want to register online, you can go with the Massachusetts voter registration form, and you’ll need an MA ID or your SSN

Maine

You can register to vote up to election day. By mail, your registration forms must be received 21 days before the election, and online registration is not an option. In order to register in Maine, you must be a resident of Maine. You can register to vote at 17, for you can vote in a primary election at the age of 17 if you will be 18 by the time of the general election. There are no restrictions on registering/voting based on criminal convictions in Maine. You can find the registration form here, and will need proof of your Maine issued driver’s license or state ID, or your SSN if that is not an option.

Connecticut

You must register in person or online 7 days before election day, or by mail postmarked 7 days before the election. However, if the deadline has passed, you are still able to register to vote in person at a designated election day registration office, which you can find by contacting your local election office. Voter registration requirements include being a Connecticut resident, being at least 18 by the next election, and if you had been previously convicted of a felony, being completed with confinement and parole. You can register online here with a CT issued form of identification. You can also use the Connecticut voter registration form and use your driver’s license number or your SSN.

Rhode Island

Registering to vote must occur 30 days before election day in person or online, and if registering by mail must be postmarked 30 days before the election. You may register to vote on election day at your local board of canvassers, but only for presidential elections. To register in RI you must be a resident of RI for at least 30 days preceding the next election, 18 years old (16 if pre-registering), and not be currently incarcerated for a felony. You can register to vote online here, and must have a RI state-issued driver’s license or state ID. You can also use the Rhode Island voter registration form and can use a license/ID or your SSN.

Vermont

You have all the way up to election day to register to vote in person or online, or your mail-in registration must be received by election day. To register to vote in Vermont, you must be a resident of Vermont, and you must take a voter’s oath. You can register to vote at 17, for you can vote in a primary election at the age of 17 if you will be 18 by the time of the general election. There are no restrictions based on criminal convictions. You can register to vote online here and will need one of the acceptable forms of ID listed on the website. You can also use the Vermont voter registration form and will need a driver’s license or personal ID, or your SSN.

New Hampshire

You can either register in person up to election day, or you can register by mail which must be received between 6 and 13 days before the election depending on your town of residence. You can not vote online. To be eligible to register, you must be a resident of the town you are registering to vote in, be 18 years old by the time of election day, be past your final discharge if you have been convicted of a felony, and never have been convicted of an election related crime. To register, you must go in person or request a mail-in registration form from your clerk directly. To register, you’ll need proof of residence and proof of citizenship.

Kyra is a senior at Lasell University and is an elementary education major. She loves to hike, bake, and work with her students at daycare.