This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Crafting the perfect resume to stand out from other applicants and be called in for an interview can be a difficult task. Over the years I have updated my resume numerous times after getting new positions, adding new skills, certifications, etc. When applying for jobs or internships I always want to make sure I have the most up to date information to show potential employers. Here’s what I do when editing my resume!

1. Correcting my grammar

One of the biggest mistakes I always notice when looking at my resume or my friends’ is that they have written their descriptions in the wrong tense. For example, let’s say you worked at a retail store from June 2021-June 2022. One bullet you might have could say “organized merchandise, displays and fitting rooms”. Notice how I said “organized” putting this in the past tense as this was for a job I had in the past, not something I was currently doing. If it were June 2021-present for example I would then say “organizing merchandise”. 

1. Using statistics

A great tip I was given from the career center was to use statistics in my resume. Anytime I can work in numbers and facts, it can speak to the work I was doing and the knowledge I have surrounding it. For example, when I was a Sales Leader at a retail store I wrote this on my resume, “Lead team to keep conversion above 21% by increasing transactions and sales”. This made my employers aware that I know what I am talking about, and I am knowledgeable in my industry. 

1. Adding skills or keywords that apply to jobs I’m interested in

This is a tip I got from an alum I spoke to who has been working in the fashion industry in New York for about five years now. She advised me to look at what words were being used in applications and positions I wanted to apply for. What skills were these jobs highlighting? By adding these to my resume it can help potential employers who have to look through tons of applications skim mine, and find those words that stick out and align with what they are looking for. This can be using words like detail-oriented, decision making and problem solving skills, leadership, customer service, organization, etc. 

1. Highlighting my most relevant experience

While it may be great that someone used to babysit or be an assistant dance teacher, this may not be the most relevant experience to the field they want to go into. When I was first applying for jobs around 16 and 17 years old, I wanted to include any experience I had, so I did add babysitting to my resume and my work as an assistant dance teacher at my local dance studio. However, now that I am three years into college with internships and more jobs and activities aligned directly with my industry under my belt, those needed to get priority. I always put what position I currently have at the top and then include whatever I feel is most important next. I tell my friends that your resume should never be longer than a page, so if you do have to cut some things out, start with one of those first jobs you had that maybe isn’t so important to mention now.

Julia McNicol is a junior at Lasell University studying Fashion Media and Marketing with a minor in Journalism. She loves exploring the city, shopping, and watching a good rom-com! Her Instagram can be found at @juliamcnicol as well as @juliashannonxoxo for fashion-specific content.