The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Not to brag, but my roommates and I have made our dorm into a cute and cozy space. On top of that, we’ve also made it a sensory-friendly space for the three of us. We each have difficulties with sensory processing, such as sensitivity to loud noises or getting overstimulated in a busy environment. Therefore, it became important for us to accommodate our needs and make our dorm a space where we could relax. Here are all of the ways we’ve made our dorm sensory-friendly.

We rarely, if ever, turn on the overhead lighting

Let me use this article to share how much I DESPISE overhead lighting. It’s always too bright, and after a long day of classes, the last thing I want to come home to is another overhead light. Instead, we have various lamps around the dorm that emit a warmer light than what overhead lighting usually has. We also have gorgeous bay windows in our dorm (perks of living in one of Lasell’s Victorian houses!) that bring in so much natural light throughout the day. This small change has made all the difference, as it isn’t too overwhelming and gives our dorm such a cozy feel.

We each own noise-canceling headphones and weighted blankets

Having our own noise-canceling headphones is great for blocking out excess noise in public and unwinding once we’re home. I also love using mine to listen to white noise when I fall asleep. Our weighted blankets are great for decompressing because the pressure is relaxing. I also have a weighted stuffed animal from Target that I will often lay with while winding down or playing Animal Crossing on my Nintendo Switch. Coming home from overstimulating noise and crowds to my bed and my blanket is always a highlight of my day.

We keep a stock of our comfort foods

We already keep snacks and other food in the dorm for cooking meals, but we always have a stock of familiar and comforting foods. We have tons of boxes of mac n cheese, microwave popcorn, and chicken tenders. We also tend to buy in bulk so we have plenty throughout the semester. While the dining hall is always an option, sometimes we want to stay in and make a meal we love. For me, a big bowl of mac n cheese is perfect after a long day.

Olivia Post

Lasell '26

Olivia Post is the President of the Her Campus at Lasell chapter. She oversees all matters relating to the chapter, from editorial content to on-campus events. Beyond Her Campus, Olivia is a student ambassador for the Blue Key Society at Lasell. She is currently a sophomore at Lasell University, studying Secondary Education and English with a minor in Spanish. In her free time, Olivia enjoys reading, playing video games, and spending time with her roommates. She can also be found working on her latest crochet project, or watching RuPaul's Drag Race.