This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

It’s finals season and it is no joke. If you’re like any other college student, you’re probably a ball of stress. Even though this can be a rough time, there are some things that I do to make studying for finals a little more tolerable.

Put away distractions

The first thing is quite obvious and people say it all the time, but before you can do anything, put away any distractions. That means your phone! If you feel like you need to have your phone visible to you, at least put it on Do Not Disturb. It only takes one notification to hook you and before you know it, 30 minutes has gone by.

Find a place other than your dorm to study

Throughout my three semesters at college, I’ve learned that this one is crucial. Finding a location other than your dorm room can be really helpful in locking in. Going to a place like a study room or the library can help to minimize distractions. Plus, if you go to an area like this, your brain might train itself to understand when it’s really “go-time” versus when you can just hang around and do nothing. 

Listen to non-distracting music

This is also something that I’ve learned is helpful. Some people may like working in silence, but not me. I need some sort of background noise or else I can’t focus. Usually, this ends up with me listening to music through my headphones. When it comes to the music selection, I try to stay away from things with a fast tempo or intense beat. I typically choose indie music, jazz, or classical (listening to music without words is especially helpful). 

Set timers

I love setting timers while doing my work, as it makes me study more efficiently. I’ll set a timer for 30-45 minutes on my laptop (so I can see how much time is left), and I’ll power through until I hear that ringing. Once the timer is up, I’ll take a 5-10-minute break to go on my phone before it’s back to the grind. I’ve learned that this helps me stay away from distracting apps or websites, and makes me really concentrate knowing that I’m getting a break soon.

Eat something before

Eating before studying can be really helpful sometimes, or even taking a snack break. I’ve found that studying on an empty stomach is really difficult. I only focus on how hungry I am or the fact that I don’t have enough energy to study, and never get much done.

Reward yourself with something after

The last thing that I do is reward myself with a sweet treat after a study session. This could be something as small as a couple of cookies. Knowing that I have something to look forward to after my study session really helps me power through.

Hello! My name is Kaylee Kentzel. I am a Psychology major and a Forensic Criminology minor at Lasell University with the class of 2026. I enjoy reading, listening to music, watching and reviewing new movies, traveling, and taking photos!