This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

The most stress-inducing week for college students is arriving: finals week. Even the buildup to finals week is pressuring because students are wrapping up assignments and projects, studying, and of course, preparing for finals. But, not only is it stressful but it also means the end of the semester, so one does get to relax a bit (unless you’re registered for classes over winter break). So, as stressful as this time can be, it’s essential to still take care of yourself mentally and physically because it’s a whirlwind of events. Therefore, since it’s my second to last finals experience as a senior, these are ways I prepare myself for finals week.

1. Prepare and start early for assignments and due dates

As I’m sure most students have heard before coming to and during college, “Always read the syllabus” and as much as you’ve probably heard it – it’s true. The syllabus can be your best friend. So, at least two weeks before finals, I revisit my course syllabi and write down or digitally store the dates my last assignments are due and when my finals are taking place. By doing this, I’m able to get a head start on my work, plan accordingly, and sometimes finish my work early so I have more time to take breaks and study.

1. Plan and schedule time to study

Planning ahead is a truly helpful method in college, especially when finals are quickly approaching. Also, when taking multiple courses that have work or a final due, making sure to allot time to get it all done is important. I like to use Google Calendar to schedule my week because it’s easier to manage and see where I may or may not have availability. This way, I’m able to schedule when and how long I will work on my coursework or study for a course. This method helps me to stay organized and less stressed when it comes to completing my work. Then, I like to use Notion to track my academic responsibilities because I am able to organize all of it in one place.

1. Taking care of myself

As I’ve emphasized a few times in this article, finals are taxing and it’s important to take care of oneself while going through a stressful time. For me, I make sure to take the time to get enough sleep, eat meals, exercise, and relax. These are important to include in my lifestyle because working and studying so much can take a toll on the body and even mental health. When I take care of myself this way, it helps me perform well as a student, which includes how well I’m understanding the material when I study, take exams, or give a presentation. 

In the end, I do my best to implement these methods to make sure I’m still tending to my needs as an individual while still valuing my studies.

Hi! My name is Celeste and I am currently a senior, majoring in Health Science at Lasell University. On campus, I am involved in a variety of clubs such as HerCampus, the Student Government Association as the VP of Academics, the Campus Activities Board, and the Knitting Club. Also, I intern at a health center as a patient resource advocate and I work at the IT Help Desk on my campus. In my spare time, my favorite things to do are read, watch videos or movies, and sit and chat with my friends!