Style > Beauty

Hot Girl Summer: But Reef Safe and Cruelty Free Sunscreen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

With summer only weeks away, the mundane task of trying to find a sunscreen is only weeks away as well. I don’t know about you guys, but trying to find any new product, especially sunscreen is such a daunting task. There are so many factors that are important to me when looking for an everyday sunscreen, the main two being that the brand is cruelty-free and that the product does not break me out. However, with the move to more beachy activities, I now have a third factor to consider, reef safety. Now you are probably thinking, Ceci, does this sunscreen even exist. Don’t worry, I got you, with my top 3 recommendations that include all 3 of these factors, or at least the reef safe and cruelty-free aspect, as everyone’s skin is different so I can’t guarantee you won’t break out, but I can give you a place to start!

The Ordinary Mineral SPF

You have probably heard of the famous brand The Ordinary when the whole Niacinamide serum trend was floating about. Luckily, The Ordinary makes more than just serums. This sunscreen is SPF 30, and if you have a tight budget this may be the one for you coming in at under $10. $9.70, to be exact. 

Pacifica Mineral Face Shade

I love Pacifica’s night cream and some of their hair products and don’t even get me started on their makeup. This brand is vegan, and the packaging is so cute. This sunscreen is SPF 30 and is on the more affordable side at only $13. I have not broken out from Pacifica, and neither has my mom who has the world’s most sensitive skin for reference.

Solara Suncare

This sunscreen is on the pricey side at $42. Just like the others, it is SPF 30. However, this particular sunscreen is unscented for my sensitive skin loves. According to the reviews, this sunscreen feels just like a moisturizer if texture bothers you!

Ceci Wood

Lasell '24

Ceci is a Senior at Lasell University and is studying English. In her free time, you can find her reading, writing, making some banging playlists, or playing the sims!