Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Great Sexpectations: The 5 W’s of Female Condoms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

It’s the dirty little secret that everyone is doing but no one is talking about. Yes, you guessed it. SEX! Isn’t it about time we spread the word?

Introducing Great Sexpectations, your go- to source for on loving yourself, feeling sexy, maintaining healthy relationships, handling one night stands, feelings and so much more!

Yes, you read that correctly FEMALE condoms.  Someone in the world finally gave us more power to protect ourselves when having sex instead of relying on the guy. Now, I’m sure most of the people reading this article will have a ton of questions so here is the who, what, when where, and why of female condoms.

Who is the female condom for?

Simple answer: anyone, they aren’t just for women!  Female condoms can be inserted into the vagina for vaginal sex or into the anus for anal sex.

What even is a female condom?

According to the Mayo Clinic,“The female condom is a birth control (contraceptive) device that acts as a barrier to keep sperm from entering the uterus. It protects against pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections (STIs). The female condom is a soft, loose fitting pouch with a ring on each end.” It can also prevent the spread of STDs during anal sex.

When do I use the female condom?

Insert the female condom into your vagina or anus before having intercourse. Don’t forget to remove after sex!

Where can I get female condoms?

Female condoms are available for purchase in most places that you can purchase regular condoms. You can also get them through most Planned Parenthoods or your local sexual health clinic. Some birth control delivery services will even send you female condoms in the mail.

Why should I use female condoms?

There is number of reasons why. Maybe you would prefer to have the protection in your hands for once, perhaps you or your partner don’t like the feeling of regular condoms, or maybe you are just looking to try something new. All these reasons are valid and great!

Elizabeth is a Senior at Lasell College, she is a writer and President for the Lasell Her Campus chapter.