Style > Beauty

From Blue to Purple Hair: I Love My New Color!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

If you’ve read some of my previous Her Campus articles, you may know that during the Spring semester last year I made an impulse decision to dye my hair blue. It was something that I had wanted to do since I was in middle school, and a couple of months ago just felt like the right time to do it. So I did! I had a friend and fellow education major (who has a cosmetology license and works in a hair salon) come to my dorm and get to work making me a blueberry… Needless to say, I fell in love with the blue hair, but about a month ago, I decided I needed to make another drastic change: Purple. 

The Process: Blue to Purple

Similar to the first time I dyed my hair blue, I consulted with the person I was going to have dye my hair purple to get their thoughts. This was Bella, my friend and hair stylist who immediately was on board with the idea. We looked at some reference pictures and booked an appointment, and we were set! 

Bella once again came to my dorm room and got everything she needed to dye my hair set up. This time, because the blue I had had lightened so much, we didn’t need to do any bleaching to my hair. Bella went straight in sectioning my hair and applying the purple, and when she was done, she even added in some darker blue highlights (which I had asked for of course). Once the dye was in, we waited about 45 minutes and then washed it out of my hair. My dorm shower was (and still is) a pretty shade of purple, but I don’t think my roommates mind too much. 

With my hair all washed out, Bella combed through it and blew it dry, and voila! I was no longer a blueberry and instead was now a grape. I was immediately in love with the new color, and I definitely intend to keep myself purple for a little while longer. 

The Price

One big question that I feel has to be asked is: how much was it? Was it expensive to go from blue to purple? Well, kind of, but also not really. For me to go blue the first time, it was about $150 because my entire head of hair needed to be bleached and then dyed. This time, since no bleach was used and it was just dye, it was $75. To me, the price was definitely worth it as I love the results. 

Let me know in the comments below if you’ve ever dyed your hair a non-natural color? Have you ever done blue or purple? What color do you think I should do next?

Attends Lasell University and is currently a senior (class of 2023). An elementary education major with a minor in child and adolescent studies. A proud member of the LGBTQ+ community, I love the color yellow, crocs, and all kinds of tea!