The Five Emotions of Your Parents Visiting for Family, Friends, and Alumni Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Friends, Family, and Alumni Weekend is a big to-do here at Lasell. Here are the five emotional stages you go through when your parents come to visit during this homecoming-type weekend.

Excitement

Yay! My adorable parents are coming and I haven’t seen them in so long! I was so excited to see them, and to eat somewhere other than Sodexo.

Panic

I woke up Saturday morning to realize I had only a half hour to clean my dorm before my parents arrived. Queue the clothes folding, fridge cleaning, and Febreeze-ing my sheets so maybe my mom wouldn’t know I had yet to wash them. And then giving my dirty laundry bin a good squirt with febreze as well. After a lot of running around, my parents commented on how clean my roommate and I keep our room. Crushed it.

Pride

As someone from out of state, I was pretty excited to show off how acquainted I had become with the area to my parents. First, I walked them around campus to show them where are all my classes are. We admired the gorgeous fall colors of Lasell, and then headed into the city for the day. I impressed them with my ability to navigate the T, and managed to barely get us lost in Boston. A couple times I almost knew where we were going!

Exhaustion

Trying to hide the fact that you got three hours of sleep the night before from your parents: not as easy as it looks. After a day of walking around campus and then Boston, I was ready to fall asleep around 7PM.

Sadness

Time to say goodbye until Thanksgiving…Let’s all just pretend we aren’t crying and like it’s not that long. Time will fly by, right?

Freshman at Lasell College. Interested in fashion, feminism, and fearlessly pursuing my dreams.