Career > Money

Everything You Need to Know About Starting a Small Business

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Due to the recent pandemic, small businesses are becoming more popular than ever. Especially among a younger group of people, the idea of creating a product and selling it through sites like Etsy, Depop, and Instagram has never been so tempting. As a creative young person, 

I fell victim to this temptation. As a small business owner, and as a supporter of other small businesses, here are a few things I learned. 

The beginning is the hardest part. After creating your product, getting the name out there is a difficult and frustrating process. It can take months of advertising before gaining a following, so a passion for the business is important. For myself, I promoted my products through my Instagram and then created another account specifically for my business. There, I followed other businesses that were similar and tried to be active. 

The second idea I focused on was making sure the image I was putting out was clean and accurate. I took product photos with a simple background and made sure the frame was well lit. I also included product descriptions and prices on the posts, because I personally do not like going to a secondary site to learn to price. I also paid attention to my notifications and was sure to respond to comments and messages. As a consumer, I appreciate someone who is attentive and enthusiastic. 

The last thing I did was have patience. It was a long process of trial and error for all aspects of starting a business. While it has become a secondary thought more recently, I still am proud of the product that is out and would love to fulfill any orders that come through.

My business is 17beadsco on Instagram!

Jade is a psychology major graduating with the class of 2024. In her free time, you can find Jade listening to music, cooking, or hanging out with friends