Life > Experiences

Empty Bowls: A Deep Dive Into A Lasell Club Fighting Food Insecurity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

The Empty Bowls Club has been around at Lasell University for over 5 years, and meets every Wednesday in the ceramic studio of Yamawaki Arts and Cultural Center. The club produces hundreds of hand-made ceramic bowls every year to sell at their annual event in the Spring. Empty Bowls is not exclusive to Lasell. The organization is found across the country,  “Empty Bowls is a grassroots movement by artists and crafts people in cities and towns around the world to raise money for food related charities to care for and feed the hungry in their communities.”  First-year member Sarai describes club meetings as, “A great way to meet new people and make new arts and crafts”. The club at Lasell donates the proceeds to the Centre Street Food Pantry in Newton, Massachusetts. They provide food to the local Newton community, serving over 1,000 people last year. 

Professor Deborah Baldizar has been leading the Empty Bowls team as the faculty advisor since its creation at Lasell. She attends all meetings and puts an incredible amount of time and effort into making the event possible. 

When asked, “What has inspired you to lead Empty Bowls as the faculty advisor for over 5 years now?”, Professor Baldizar confidently responded, “The creativity and dedication of students cease to amaze me year after year. Every year students come up with a unique way to give back to the community and fight hunger”.

This year the Empty Bowls Club is fighting hunger at their event on March 31st, 2023 in De Witt Hall from 5-7 p.m. Admission is $5 for Lasell students and $15 for everyone else. The price of admission includes a handmade ceramic bowl and a dinner of soup, bread, and desserts. There will also be tote-bag decorating, live music from Robby Rowe and Paige Mesropian, and an opportunity to participate in the raffle and silent auction. Additionally, all of the proceeds for the night go directly back to the community to fight food insecurity by supporting the Centre Street Food Pantry. 

If you are not already convinced to support the event, here are some reasons why you should attend directly from Empty Bowls Members…

“To fight hunger, enjoy an inspirational night, and purchase a handmade bowl” (Margaret Campbell, Community Outreach).

“Cause we’re awesome! It’s a fun experience to see all the bowls made. Hang out with us and make friends!” (Aaliyha Williams, Treasurer).

“To engage with the community” (Hampton Clancy, Club Member).

“It’s a very enjoyable event to attend because of the different activities to participate in. It’s a way to join together for a great cause and be part of raising awareness for food insecurity” (Beverly Banks, President).

“To mingle and learn more about a great cause” (Emma Saputo, Bowl Manager).

Mark your calendars for March 31st, 2023 to support Empty Bowls and the Centre Street Food Pantry. The event will be an inspiring night to learn more about food insecurity and give back to the community!

Isabelle is a Sophmore Elementary Education major at Lasell! She also is working towards her minor in History. On campus, Isabelle is involved in HerCampus, Habitat for Humanity, Tomorrow's Teachers, and Empty Bowls. Her hobbies include yoga, listening to Taylor Swift, and thrifting!