Career

Empowering Women Series: Homeborough Bestie Ashley Diaz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

In the light of honoring the memory of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, influential women have an impact and influence everywhere they go. They open doors for those who couldn’t before and give us more reasons to pursue. 

As birthplace Brooklyn, New York gifted us Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the huge city gave another gift. Queens, New York gifted me the best masterpiece of all, Ashley Diaz. When it comes to influential women, my lovely cousin Ashley leaves a trail of gems wherever she is. 

Ashley’s loveable presence is hard to miss. It’s like looking at the sky and not noticing the sunshine beaming down. Sharing your life with her is like sharing a life coach. She’s the ultimate hype man when you discuss any event in your life with her. Got a new haircut? She’s already screenshotting selfies and hyping it up on her snap. Posting a picture of yourself? She’s taken over your comment section with compliments. Sharing your music with her? She’s already adding it to her Spotify playlist. 

As being my inspiration for going into the fashion industry, she continues to be my role model. She thrives in all her projects and jobs. Her ambition is a powerful trait that Capricorns hold high. From the beginning of her freshman year of high school to now a sophomore at F.I.T, her stories motivate me. Collaborating with her peers and staff at her schools, she surrounds herself with creativity. Whether that’s helping out her friends on their visual merchandiser windows, hanging out with teachers during after hours, or showcasing her love and work for film developing, she’s in the center of the arts. Her love for life is present in her character, and she passes that along with anyone she meets. 

As for opening doors, in 2019 she competed in a business competition amongst other high schools in Manhattan. Representing the High School of Fashion Industries, she and her team had to face other tough competitors. However, as announcers gave results, her team and she made it to the nationals! This was a breakthrough because her high school has never made it that far in past years. Opening this door was a major impact for herself, her peers, and the next graduating classes to come. 

When life gets difficult, she pushes for the best in those tough times. She always tells me “count your blessings” and “to be grateful for what you have” in those hard moments. Enjoying the little things can make life even more beautiful when you’re in those dark times. After all, how can we see the galaxy’s beauties like the moon and stars, when it’s not dark out. 

Ashley’s going to continue to succeed and shine in her remaining years at F.I.T and for the rest of her captivating life. 

Spotify play Piel Canela by Eydie Gormé and Los Panchos. 

Jade Diaz

Lasell '23

Jade is a Senior at Lasell, majoring in Fashion Merchandising and Management. She adores figurative art, and enjoys being creative in any way possible. She is sneaker- obsessed and loves the world of fashion. One fun fact is that her dog Finn, is named after a Star Wars character named FN-2187.