Emma Watson Speaks Out for Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

New York City–  Actress and activist Emma Watson gave a riveting and impassioned speech at the UN on debunking common feminism misconceptions and asking men to join in the fight towards equality for both the sexes on September 20, 2014. 

Watson and her colleagues at the UN were promoting their new campaign, #HeforShe, a movement intended to involve men in the fight for gender equality. 

Watson spoke about the campaign but also of the importance of feminism to men. She began the speech by asking for the help of men and boys to join in the fight by explaining the true definition of the “f” word.

“For the record, feminism by definition is the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes,” Watson said.

The social stigma that often comes along with this word brings ideas of “man-hating” and “female domination”, when the true idea would actually bring more equal rights and opportunities to both of the sexes. She described her own fight with feminism throughout her life. Watson had been called bossy as a young girl, then was sexualized as a young adult. She talks about how feminism has become an unpopular opinion and that some women are choosing not to be open about being feminists. 

“I think it is right that I am paid the same as my male counterparts,” she said. “I think that it is right that I should be able to make decisions about my own body. I think that it is right that women be involved on my behalf in the policies and the decisions that will affect my life. I think it is right that socially I am afforded the same respect as men.” 

“But, in no one country is all of this true for men and women,” Watson said.  Watson acknowledged her life as a privilege, and thanked the inadvertent feminists in her life. Watson, again, formally invited men to join the conversation of gender equality. She talked about her father societally having less importance than her mother and of men who feel unable to ask for help when dealing with mental illness. 

“Men don’t have the benefit of equality either,” she said.

If men felt it was okay to act outside their gender “norm,” women would too. Watson said that things will change for women as a consequence of them changing for men. 

“If men don’t have to be aggressive, women wouldn’t have to be submissive,” she said.

Watson asked the audience to think of gender on a whole spectrum, not just two sets of opposing ideals. 

Watson added some statistics to her speech as well, brought reality to the audience. She said that if nothing is done, women will not have equal pay for another 75 years, 15.5 million girls with be married over the next 16 years, and not until the year 2086 will all rural African girls have the opportunity of a secondary education. 

She ended the speech by telling the audience to ask themselves, “If not me, who? If not now, when?” 

The actress best known for her role in the Harry Potter movies, was appointed Goodwill Ambassador six months ago and continues to fight for gender equality. “And if you still hate the word, it is not the word that is important. It is the idea and the ambition behind it.”

Sadly, a few days later Watson was threatened by internet hackers, telling her she was next in the string of leaked nude photos that have been haunting celebs such as Jennifer Lawrence and Gabrielle Union. The 4chan website was shut down and Watson has not commented on the situation.

***Editor’s Note: Since this video went viral, a 15 year old boy, Ed Holtom went viral as well, inspired by the speech and speaking out for gender equality. 

Taylor is a senior at Lasell majoring in Communications with a concentration in Journalism and a minor in sociology. She has happily been a member of Her Campus Lasell for the past two years. This will be her second year as Campus Correspondent. She is also involved with Active Minds on campus. Taylor runs a camp during the summer, and in her free time likes to bake cookies, get swoll at the gym, eat fancy food and travel through Europe.