Life > Experiences

Don’t Miss Out On These Exciting Local Library Events 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Anyone who knows me is aware that I never shut up about libraries. As I’m dedicating my life to working in them, I think I have every right to spread the amazing information about public libraries as far and wide as I can. Not only do libraries have tons of resources like books, computers, instruments, and more, they also host a ton of fun events. I’ve searched around and compiled a few library events coming up. There’s no better way to support a local library than showing up and having fun! 

Newton Free Library

Adults Only Mini-Golf: October 21st, 6 to 9:30. This one is for my 21+ crowd. They are transforming the entire library into an 18 hole mini golf course! There will be special drinks, and there is a $35 admission fee so make sure you come prepared! There’s also an earlier, all ages welcome mini-golf event. 

Board Game Club: October 28th, 1 to 4:30. Do you love board games but your friends will never play with you? Stop on by the board game club for some strategy based fun! 

Poetry Reading and Open Mic: November 14th, 7-8. If you’re a fan of poetry, you can’t miss this event. Three prominent local poets will be giving readings of their work at the library. There is sure to be some amazing work on display. 

Watertown Free Library

LGBT History Walk At Mount Auburn Cemetery: October 21st & 22nd, 1 to 2:30. DO want to get outside and enjoy the fall weather? Do you want to do so while learning about local LGBT history? Do you just like cemeteries? If you answered yes to any of the above, this is surely the event for you!

Watertown Stitch Lounge: November 14th, 7 to 8:30 If you’re a fellow crafter like me, this is the perfect space for you. Knitters, crocheters, embroiderers of all skill levels are welcome to come and work on their projects and seek help with tricky stitches. 

Boston Public Library

Dolls of Our Lives Q&A: November 9th, 6 to 9. Ok, I’ll admit it, this is just one I’m personally super into. I love the Dolls of Our Lives podcast, and I’m so excited that they are coming to a library near me. They’ll be discussing their new book all about American Girl and how it shaped both their lives and the lives of countless young people. If you’re at all into dolls, history, sociology, or just a good time, I think you should go!

Julia LaPlante is the Vice President and Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Lasell. She oversees and assissts and E and S boards as well as the copy editing team. Away from Her Campus, Julia is a senior English major at Lasell. She works at Lasell's library as she studies towards her Masters in Library and Information Science. In her free time, Julia enjoys reading gothic literature, watching nerdy television shows, and walking in nature. Julia deeply believes in the importantce of mindfulness and chocolate to ones attitude.