Dixie & Addison: From TikTok to Chart-Topping Artists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Back in September of 2016, an app called TikTok was first released. Now, in 2021, this app has 689 million active users, and people everywhere are sending each other TikToks and talking about the content on the app. In fact, the app has been downloaded over 2 billion times worldwide and is the Apple App Stores’ most downloaded app! Because of the app’s current popularity, celebrities have risen to fame using the app. Names like Charli and Dixie D’Amelio as well as Addison Rae have become commonplace both on and off of the TikTok platform. Recently, both Dixie D’Amelio and Addison Rae have used their TikTok fame to start up and promote music careers, so keep reading to find out more about the two TikTok stars that are now trying to make it big in the music industry. 

Addison Rae

Addison Rae is a 20-year old who is most known for her rise to fame on TikTok, where she started posting in 2019. She has 79.9 million followers on the app, making her the second most-followed person behind Charli D’Amelio. With her growing popularity, she was signed to the WME Talent Agency in January 2020. Since then, she has collaborated and partnered with American Eagle as well as created her own podcast with her mom entitled “Mama Knows Best”

Outside of social media, Addison has worked with numerous brands including American Eagle, Reebok, L’Oreal, and Hollister and has created her own makeup line entitled Item Beauty. Most recently, Addison released her first music single entitled “Obsessed”, which reached #10 on the US charts and #9 on the UK charts. The music video for the song currently has 17.4 million views on YouTube. 

Dixie D’Amelio 

Dixie D’Amelio, the 19-year old who gained rapid popularity on TikTok after appearing in some of her sister Charli’s videos, now posts her own TikToks and is the 7th most-followed person on the app with 51.2 million followers. However, she has now stepped outside of the TikTok bubble after signing with United Talent Agency in 2020. Now, she has a podcast with her sister Charli entitled Charli and Dixie: 2 Chix as well as a successful YouTube channel that has 7.3 million subscribers and 490 million total views. 

Outside of social media, Dixie has most recently appeared in the world of music. She has released four singles so far, the first of which was released in July 2020 and entitled “Be Happy”. This song reached #1 on the US charts and the music video for the song currently has almost 105 million views on YouTube. Her next single, “Naughty List” with Liam Payne, former member of One Direction, reached #48 on the UK charts and the music video currently has 5.4 million views. Her third single (and my personal favorite!) “One Whole Day” ft. Wiz Khalifa reached #8 on the New Zealand charts and the music video currently has 30.7 million views. Most recently, Dixie released “Roommates”, a song written by Demi Lovato that reached #15 on the New Zealand charts and whose music video has 9 million views. 

What do you think of TikTok stars rising to fame on and off of other social media platforms? Have you listened to Dixie’s or Addison’s songs? Let me know in the comments below what you think!

Attends Lasell University and is currently a senior (class of 2023). An elementary education major with a minor in child and adolescent studies. A proud member of the LGBTQ+ community, I love the color yellow, crocs, and all kinds of tea!