This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Most people can discuss an experience where they have dealt with a toxic friend or significant other. A toxic friendship or relationship is a lot of times realized after the fact. Dealing with the situation with the least amount of mess as possible is definitely easier said than done, but this guide is here to help you correctly end it.

Common signs of a toxic friend or significant other:

• They are never happy for you.
  • They compete with you.
  • They do not acknowledge or validate your feelings. 
  • They apologize without sincerity.
  • They constantly put you down. (There is a difference between putting you down and joking/teasing.) 
  • You cannot trust them. You tell them something in confidence, and they go and tell everyone behind your back. 
  • They constantly put themselves at the front and center and do not express care for you. 
  • There is always drama.
  • They are jealous of other friends spending time with you.
  • They lie to get sympathy. 

The list goes on and on of signs with toxic friendships and relationships, but those are the most common ones. 

Here is some help on how to end a toxic friendship or relationship gracefully:

Do it in person. It is definitely intimidating to confront someone in this fashion in person, but it is important that you do not hide behind text or social media. You have to be confident.

Make sure to have a goal in mind and strive to have a constructive, calm conversation. The keyword here is calm. Give them a chance to speak and listen, but do not get away from the point of the conversation.

Be honest but gentle. There is no need to rip into someone if you are trying to end the situation gracefully. Turning the conversation into a fight will end it with bad blood and a grudge. 

Being in this situation is difficult, but it is possible to remove yourself gracefully.

For more helpful tips, visit Healthline and Glitter Guide.

Emelia Mulligan is a freshman at Lasell University studying Criminal Justice and playing field hockey. When she's not studying or practicing, she is either online shopping, watching reality tv, or listening to r&b. She has a passion for mental health awareness and is pursuing addiction recovery for a future career. Find her on social media linked below.