This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

There’s nothing more satisfying than a neat space to do your homework. Having an open space to get your work done can have a positive impact on your work habits. There’s nothing better than coming back from class, setting your stuff down, and seeing your clean desk ready for you to work on. Your desk is basically empty except from the few things that you keep on top, so you’re instantly motivated to get your work done. Keep reading to find out how you can achieve the perfect homework space.

1. De-clutter your desk: You can’t work with your stuff piled on top of one another. You need a decent sized space to put down your books, laptop or a notebook. Consider this when cleaning.
  2. Clear out a separate drawer for textbooks and notebooks: Having this space to store your study materials leaves a lot more room to do your homework. Plus, it’ll be easier to find what you need when you need it.

3. Don’t be afraid to decorate your desk: Add picture frames, a lamp, a cup with your pens and pencils, etc. Doing this provides a happy space and makes it your own.

4. Make use of the other drawers your desk has: Store your unused supplies in one drawer. This way you can find them when you need them. You can put other things like your makeup, cleaning supplies, snacks, etc.

5. Throw away anything that you don’t need: Yep, I’m going there. Get rid of all homework and assignments and notebooks from the last semester. This only takes up more space. Plus, what are you gonna do with them anyway? If you’re keeping any notebooks, only keep the ones for your major. You can keep them in a box under your bed just in case you find yourself needing them.

6. Get yourself a whiteboard or a calendar: Keep track of important due dates. You’ll thank me later.

7. Most importantly, make use of this clean space: You cleaned it for a reason!

Gabriela Giubilo is a senior at Lasell College. She is majoring in Event Management with a minor in Psychology. She loves to read, watch tv, spend lots of time on Tumblr, and hang out with friends in family. She just completed a semester abroad in Queensland, Australia. Her goal is to work as an event designer and move to LA.