Chloe Mortez Stuns as “Carrie” Remake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Last Saturday, I ventured into the city of Boston to see the latest movie remake, “Carrie”. Originally starring Sissy Spacek, her newest replacement is the 16 year old Chloe Grace Moretz. She is known for playing roles that are way too inappropriate for teen actors her age, “Kick Ass” being the most obvious. Carrie is a teenage girl, raised in the household of her psychotic religious zealot of a mother, played by Julianne Moore, who discovers the power of telekinesis. Moore as Ms. White played a drastically different role from Piper Laurie’s Ms. White in the 1976 version. Laurie gave off an over protective role but it was more on a loving level whereas Moore’s version was filled with pure hatred towards Carrie.  Of course one the most infamous scene is where Carrie discovers she’s bleeding during a shower after gym class. The typical “mean girls,” ridicule her for not understanding the concept of having a period instead of helping. Unlike the original, this time the girls have the power of cellular devices and social media to take bullying to the next level.  The remake connected on a deeper level because it went into the life of Carrie and how she was affected by the small bubble she lived in. 

During the movie, Carrie was able to practice her telekinesis more.  The movie wasn’t scary at all but the notorious prom scene was better than I could have imagined. With the help of advanced special effects, the torture Carrie inflicts on people is much better in the remake.  From the way she glared at people to the way she moved her hands and body to portray using her powers, Moretz was flawless as the newest version of Carrie that many of our parents grew up watching and may have be better than the 1976 adaptation, just don’t tell Brian De Palma I said that.

A lover of all things creative, Mariah is currently in her Junior year at Lasell College. She will be graduating in Spring 2015 with a BA in Fashion Communication and Promotion. At the moment she is studying abroad in London at the London College of Fashion in the Fashion Business Program. She is working towards her goal of one day becoming Editor-in-Chief of her own magazine, in the hopes of creating a glossie directed at body postivity in the plus-sized fashion community. She enjoys writing, reading any novel she can get her hands on, and watching documentaries.