Candidate Review Before the Massachusetts Primaries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

With the Massachusetts presidential primary about two weeks away, it’s time to start thinking about who you are going to vote for. Hopefully you’ve already registered to vote, so the next step is to refresh on the candidates who are still in the race, and how they have streamlined their platforms over the last few months of campaigning.

Have no fear, Her Campus has saved you time and effort, and has compiled an overview of all the candidates still currently running for president! (Make sure to do some of your own research too before you vote, though).

Republicans

John Kasich

Who is he?

Kasich is the current governor of Ohio. He ran for president once before in 2000.

What is his platform?

• Kasich plans to considerably decrease the size and influence of the federal government, specifically in the education and job creation sectors.

• He wants to repeal Obamacare, but wants to replace it with a plan that improves health care access by holding down costs, and helping Americans live healthier lives.

• Kasich is pro-life and wants to defund Planned Parenthood, but also supports state-funding of rape-crisis centers.

How is he polling?

Kasich came in second in New Hampshire, and has solidified himself as a viable Republican candidate.

Donald Trump

Who is he?

Trump is a wealthy business mogul from NYC. He has no previous experience in politics.

What is his platform?

• Trump wants to reform trade with China, and reform Veteran’s Administration.

• He is an avid supporter of the Second Amendment.

• He has a three-step immigration plan that involves securing the borders (building a wall between US and Mexico), passing more immigration laws, and passing laws that make immigration beneficial to natural-born citizens.

How is he polling?

He finished second in Iowa and recently won in New Hampshire.

Jeb Bush

Who is he?

Bush has previously served two terms as the governor of Florida. He is the son and brother of two past presidents, George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush.

What is his platform?

• Wants to create a more inclusive and enriching learning environment for students with disabilities.

• Has a 3-prong plan to replace Obamacare that involves putting health-care back into the hands of the states.

• Wants to expand US military involvement in the Middle East.

How is he polling?

Bush is not polling well and has struggled in both recent primaries.

Ben Carson

Who is he?

Carson is a retired pediatric neurosurgeon. He has some experience in grassroots politics, but has never held public office.

What is his platform?

• Carson plans on defunding Planned Parenthood, and is pro-life.

• Wants to do away with tenure for teachers and give out federal funding depending on student performance.

• Plans on increasing cyber-security in the US.

How is he polling?

He started off strong this fall,  but has not done well in either of the primaries.

Marco Rubio

Who is he?

Rubio is a former speaker of the Florida House and a current US Senator.

What is his platform?

• Rubio is a strong supporter of original family values, and wants to ban gay marriage.

• Rubio wants higher taxes for large corporations.

• Is a strong supporter of vocational training as an option for post-high school education.

How is he polling?

He has been polling exactly in the middle, not winning but not losing either. He recently had a strong showing at the CBS Republican Debate.

Ted Cruz

Who is he?

Cruz served as Deputy Assistant Attorney General in the Bush administration and is currently a US Senator.

What is his platform?

• Ted Cruz is a strict constitutionalist and plans to defend the original constitution.

• Believes that our rights don’t come from the government, they come from God.

• Strong defender of the 2nd Amendment.

How is he polling?

Cruz won the caucus in Iowa and has support from many loyal supporters, though the GOP does not support him.

Democrats

Bernie Sanders

Who is he?

Sanders is a senator from Vermont who has held public office for 34 years.

What is his platform?

• Plans to provide free public college education for all those with the ability.

• Wants to replace Obamacare with a single-payer health care plan.

• Plans to reform campaign finance and put the power back into the hands of the people.

How is he polling?

Sanders is doing extremely well for being considered a “fringe candidate” less than a year ago. He lost by a tiny margin in Iowa and won by a landslide in New Hampshire.

Hillary Clinton

Who is she?

Clinton is a former Secretary of State, New York Senator, and First Lady.

What is her platform?

• Plans to build upon and expand Obamacare benefits.

• Recognizes climate change and plans to create a successful renewable energy sector.

• Wants to guarantee paid family and medical leave in the US.

How is she polling?

Clinton is polling very closely with Sanders, and recently lost in the New Hampshire primaries.

So there’s your quick outline of the candidates! Make sure you check out their official websites and watch debates to learn even more about them before the big day on March 1st.

Happy Voting!

patch.com

Freshman at Lasell College. Interested in fashion, feminism, and fearlessly pursuing my dreams.