Boston: A City of Champions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Boston. A vast city that harbors historical landmarks, hundreds of universities, and of course the best pizza around – Pizzeria Regina. It is a city that is walkable and loved by almost everyone in the New England area. Boston is home to the Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins. It is a city that loves and thrives on sports. It is a city of champions, including this year’s Superbowl Champions, the New England Patriots. 

This sport-fanatic city may possibly be the home to the 2024 Summer Olympic Games. Boston sat on the list for potential United States Olympic Committee (USOC) bids for the 2024 Olympics. Accompanying the fine metropolitan area was the 1932 and 1984 Summer Olympic host city – Los Angeles, along with San Francisco and Washington D.C.

In order for a city to be picked as a host city, first the country’s Olympic Committee must select it to be the country’s bid. Once a country pick’s the city it wants to bid to host an Olympic Games, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) chooses the best city. For a city to be chosen to host the world’s largest sporting event, it must have a few elements. It needs to be big enough to actually host the Olympics. It must be able to house all of the people – athletes, fans, politicians, and media – in adequate hotels. The city must be able to transport everyone from place to place. Probably the most important part of whether or not a city is chosen to host the Olympic Games: how well they can handle security.

Boston definitely has the capability to host an Olympic Games. There are a multitude of arenas which can house certain events, like Boston College’s Conte Forum, Boston University’s Agganis Arena, and Harvard’s football stadium. The MBTA is a convenient and useful source of transportation, not to mention accessible to each arena that would house Olympic events. Not only is Boston transportation friendly, but it is also one of the most walkable cities.

The IOC has taken a liking to Boston, and has said that if the USOC chose the Massachusetts municipality as the city to represent the United States on a world stage, the IOC might quite possibly make it the home of the 2024 Summer Olympics. Formal bid applications are due to the IOC by September 15, 2015. The IOC President has reportedly encouraged the United States to submit a bid, making it very likely the US will host the Games in 2024.

Boston is officially the USOC’s bid for the 2024 Summer Olympic Games. And why wouldn’t Boston be chosen as the US bid, or even the actual host city? From the way Boston handled the Marathon bombings, to the love for sports and historic value, what is there not to love about Boston? Plus, who wouldn’t want to have an Olympic host city that puts scarves around the necks of the duckling statues and dresses up historic figure statues with Bruins and Red Sox jerseys when the teams are in the playoffs…

Keep checking in with Her Campus Lasell for more articles about the Boston 2024 Project as things progress, and why or why not Boston is a good fit to host the Olympics.

Photos courtesy of Google Images

Angela is a senior communication major with a concentration in public relations, and is double minoring in legal studies and sports communication. She studied in Washington, D.C. during the Spring 2016 semester. Angela has interned with McGovern Law and the Washington Ballet. She once was in the same press conference as President Obama. When not in class, she can be found in the Brennan Library studying, in the one of the gyms on campus or taking a nap. Angela is a sports lover, buffalo chicken enthusiast, and future master sommelier.