Books You Didn’t Know Were Banned

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

This week is National Banned Books Week all over the world for authors, librarians, and avid readers to come together over their favorite books. You may have heard of banned books when you were in elementary or middle school, but what does this exactly entail?

Banned or challenged books are novels of all genres that adults, usually parents, may find inappropriate for their children to read. Most books are simply challenged, and a book will only be banned from a bookstore or library in extenuating circumstances. Some reasons for challenging a book are: drugs, homosexuality, offensive language, or being generally unsuited for an age group. When a book is challenged, it prevents kids and young adults from reading books that may benefit them, or even from gaining better reading skills.

The point of National Banned Books Week is to highlight the problems with banned books and standing up for the right to read. Banning books can be ridiculous at times for crazy reasons, so here are a few examples of challenged books you would never expect to see on this list.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower – Stephen Chbosky

The plot: A high school freshman writes letter to a friend about his new friends, his troubles, and what really goes on in his mind.

Why: drugs/alcohol/smoking, homosexuality, offensive language, sexually explicit, and unsuited for age group. Additional reasons are date rape and masturbation.

And Tango Makes Three – Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell

The plot: A children’s book about two male penguins adopting a baby penguin as their child.

Why: anti-family, homosexuality, and unsuited to age group.

To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee

The plot: a little girl uncovers the truth about racism in her town after her father is the lawyer for a black man’s trial.

Why: offensive language, racism, and unsuited for age group.

Speak – Laurie Halse Anderson

The plot: A girl faces social isolation after the events of a summer party, and struggles to tell anyone the truth.

Why: rape, sexually explicit and offensive language.

Harry Potter series – J.K. Rowling

The plot: a young wizard navigates his way through school as the “chosen one” and must save the wizarding world.

Why: anti-family, occult/Satanism, religious viewpoint, and violence.

Is it hard to believe that some of these books are on the most challenged list, yet are some of the most popular books of our time? Authors and readers participate in National Banned Books Week every year to protest these book challenges and raise awareness. If you would like to learn more information about this important week or participate in an event, check out the American Library Association’s website here: http://www.ala.org/bbooks/banned.

Danie is a 2018 graduate of Lasell College. She served as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Lasell for two years, and wrote all four years. Danie also worked for Her Campus as a Community Management intern for two semesters, and was a National Feature Writer for six months. Danie studied Communication with concentrations in Journalism and Public Relations. She is currently seeking opportunities in the editorial or music industry. Follow her on all platforms at @raniedoberts and check out her website, raniedoberts.com.