Best, Worst, and What’s Trending for the Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

If you didn’t get a chance to see the Oscars Red Carpet yesterday, I’ve got you covered.  Initially anticipated trends were metallic and pastel gowns.  However, nude, white, and black dresses stole the show!  Just to name a few, white gowns and suits were worn by Naomi Watts in Calvin Klein Collection, Portia De Rossi in Naeem Khan, Ryan Seacrest in Burberry, and Jared Leto in Saint Laurent.

Cate Blanchett in Giorgio Armani, Jenna Dewan-Tatum in Reem Acra, and Sarah Paulson in Elie Saab elegantly wore nude dresses. 

And much to my surprise, black was a frequently chosen color for gowns this year as well.  Julia Roberts in Givenchy Haute Couture, Charlize Theron in Christian Dior, and Anna Kendrick in J. Mendel were some the most interesting and flattering.

Unfortunately, not every celebrity who made an appearance on the Red Carpet scored a perfect 10.  For starters, Sally Hawkins in Valentio missed the mark.  Although the pattern and appliqués were beautiful, the dress overall was very heavy looking.  No, not in weight, but in appearance.  It looked like it was swallowing her small frame whole! 

Next up, Pharrell Williams.  He obviously loves to make fashion statements, but they aren’t always so, for lack of better words, fashionable.  Last month he sported a park ranger style hat to the Grammy’s and now he’s wearing shorts on the Red Carpet!

Lastly, and it breaks my heart to say this because I love her so much, but Viola Davis in Escada did not do it for me either.  It’s a beautiful color on her, but the style of the dress was not the least bit figure flattering.