This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Boston is such a melting pot of culture. You can’t go into the city without finding places, events, and people from all different backgrounds. As a biracial, first-generation college student, when I first started my journey in Boston I tended to look for places that had cultural similarities to me. And although I have definitely found those places, I wanted to find others that embodied cultures that were different from mine, as well as places that showed Boston’s diverse culture. Once I found these places, I wanted to share them with everyone. So, here I have a list of some beautiful spots to see in Boston that show the city’s diversity. 

Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum

Located at 306 Congress St, Boston, MA

The Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum depicts the story of America’s origins. Here, you can visit the restored vessel, reenact the  Boston Tea Party, and view one of the last remaining tea chests. It’s a fun attraction for those interested in museums and learning more about America’s roots. 

Where We Belong Mural by Ponnapa Prakkamakul

Located at 79 Essex St, Chinatown, Boston, MA

This mural is one of the most beautiful pieces of art I have seen while getting lost in Boston. One day on my way to Chinatown, I saw this mural and my jaw dropped. The mural depicts a beautiful golden strand that flows from a fortune cookie and continues down a long strip of wall until it winds down into a bowl of noodles. After looking up the purpose of the piece, I discovered that the noodles have symbolism for many Asian cuisines, as the mural was made to represent a sense of belonging to the Asian community in Boston and fight against the ongoing gentrification in the Chinatown area. If you’re an art lover, I would 100% recommend looking at this magnificent piece of work in person. 

MLK Monument – The Embrace by Hank Willis Thomas

Located at 139 Tremont St, Boston, MA

Recently, Boston commissioned the Black artist Hank Willis Thomas to create a monument that shows symbolism for African Americans across the country. So when the MLK statue was announced to the world, many people rejoiced in having a renowned activist, Martin Luther King Jr., get recognition in such a big way. The monument symbolizes the familial relationship between the King family and is inspired by an embrace Dr. King shared with his wife. Although it has had its circle of controversy surrounding how the monument is depicted, I still feel like it’s an excellent step toward recognition of the Black struggle in America. 

To Immigrants With Love Murals

Locations: East Boston & Roslindale

These murals are scattered around Boston, and when you see them it feels like they’re speaking to you. The murals depict different cultural icons ranging from Hispanic/LatinX communities to Italian communities. These murals have the purpose of celebrating the culture that immigrants from all over the world bring to the city and show Boston’s solidarity with the immigrant community. The most beautiful part about this place for me was reading the positive affirmations written in multiple different languages on the murals, the most notable to me being the “You will always be welcome in Boston” quote that I was able to read in Spanish.

I love anything makeup, hair, and fashion and I love meeting new people!