Life > Academics

Back to School: Eco-Friendly School Supplies

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Over the last few years, there’s been a rise in brands and products becoming more sustainable and eco-friendly, which is simply amazing for our planet! As consumers continue to care more and more about what the products they’re buying are made from and how sustainable and ethical the companies they’re buying from are, the number of good-for-the-planet products will only continue to grow. One huge shopping moment every year is the back to school shopping season, where everyone from young children to adults in college buy back to school supplies. It makes sense then that companies have started to make their back to school supplies better for the planet, so let’s take a look at some products that you can replace your back to school supplies with this year! 

Plantable Pencils > Wooden Pencils

Everyone buys pencils each year, they’re just one of those products that you always need for school. However, this year, consider switching from regular wooden pencils to plantable pencils from the brand Sprout Pencil. These pencils offer one huge thing that regular pencils don’t: they have a use when their time as a pencil has run out! Simply plant the stub of your sprout pencil to literally create new life out of your stubby, broken pencils. These pencils are a great zero-waste alternative, and they’re really cool too! 

Natural Erasers > Rubber Erasers 

Regular erasers create tons of waste, from the plastic packaging they come in to the fact that most of us actually just end up losing erasers before we finish them. So, why not switch to an alternative, zero-waste eraser? The Tombow Mono erasers are made from all-natural materials and come in 100% recyclable packaging, no plastic included. Plus, they erase both pencil AND pen. 

Decomposition Notebooks > Composition Notebooks

Have you ever thought about the fact that regular notebooks and composition books actually create a ton of waste? They’re not typically recyclable because they’re a mixture of different materials, and the ink that creates the lines on the pages isn’t great for the environment. However, the company Decomposition Notebooks has created a solution to this: notebooks made from 100% post-consumer waste and soy ink! Plus, they come in tons of different styles, colors, patterns, and sizes, and I personally use them for all of my notebook needs. 

There are so so many more great products and companies out there that have amazing, eco-friendly back to school products, so check out some of these links to find more products for all of your back to school shopping needs: 

Let me know in the comments below what kind of eco-friendly school supplies you’ve found this year!

Attends Lasell University and is currently a senior (class of 2023). An elementary education major with a minor in child and adolescent studies. A proud member of the LGBTQ+ community, I love the color yellow, crocs, and all kinds of tea!