“Awkward”Season Premiere

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

This week the buzz around campus was the premiere of MTVs “Awkward”. No one seemed to be able to wait to see Matty Mckibben come on their television screen and he  has yet to ever look bad.

The season seems to be off to a good start. We left off last season with Eva, also known as the new girl, dating Matty and revealing her pregnancy, and Jenna Hamilton, the shows main character, in a boring relationship with college boy Luke. However, Jenna ditched Luke to go on her senior ski trip therefore the couples future wasnt looking too bright. Lissa, the shows ditzy blonde continues to secretly see her adoptedAfrican brother Tyler, Tamara and Jake the shows other shaky couple are done, and Sadie is still Sadie.  

The season premiere was a good one with the classic humor we love. Lissa is still is trying to hide the fact that she is seeing her adoptedAfrican brother Tyler, and no one has yet to find out which probably wont last long. Sadie is still just as funny as fans remember, and still continues to work in the food truck in search of more cash. 

The beginning of the episode really gives us no hope of seeing Matty and Jenna back together because Matty is thinking of getting engaged to Eva which is absolutely bizarre, and Jenna on the other hand wants to get back with Luke who is so boring. The episode definitely had its emotional parts which is expected because “Awkward” always has an emotional twist. 

Jenna gets  her heart broken once again by Luke in hopes of getting back together, and Matty completely breaks things off with Eva which left me and probably most audience members very happy.  He finally realized she was full of lies, and even faked her pregnancy test! When all hope of a Jenna and Matty reunion seems to be lost, when Jenna is celebrating her final grade accomplishment, Matty shows up in perfect fashion by knowing on her door. For an avid “Awkward” fan like me, this couldnt help but remind me of past seasons of Matty coming to visit Jenna through her bedroom door. 

Maybe there is hope for them to get back together, but MTV has never played it safe and never does what is expected. We will have to wait until this Tuesday September 30th at 10 P.M EST, to see what their relationship has in store, but for now all we can be happy about is that Eva is gone.

My name is Erika Patnaude and I am a freshman at Lasell College! I am from Peabody, MA. I am majoring in fashion communications and promotion with a (soon to be) minor in event planning! I love fashion especially shoes, and I am just getting adjusted to college life. I love writing, and I am excited to be in the her campus community!