An Appreciation Post for Sweet Pea: Riverdale’s Hidden Gem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

*Warning: This Article Contains Spoilers on a Current TV Show*

We all know Jughead Jones is total babe. However, another Southside Serpent, Sweet Pea, has caught my eye and I think it’s time we give that tall drink of sweet water the attention he deserves.

Sweet Pea made is debut in the second season of Riverdale, where he attended Southside High until it was shutdown. In the beginning of season two, he shows anger towards the Northside, had encounters with the football team and Archie’s Anti-Black Hood organization, The Red Circle, and is suspicious of Jughead’s loyalty to the Northside. However he starts to make a turn-around after Jughead officially becomes a Serpent. By season three, he’s the loyal friend we all deserve. I know he acts all tough but his summer fling with Josie McCoy reveals that deep down he’s actually a teddy bear.

I mean just look at him:

We love a bad boy here.

Those shoulders? Damn.

And that smile? My heart can’t take it.

We love a boy who stands up for what’s right. #WokeKing.

And we love his three-dimensional personality that shows more character development over the course of one season than Archie Andrews did in three.

Here’s to hoping season three will finally give Sweet Pea the attention he deserves.

Raegan Cleary is a senior at Lasell College studying Fashion Communication and Promotion. She likes French Bulldogs and long walks to Chipotle. In addition to Her Campus shes been doing theatre for eight years and this spring she'll be in her fourth production of Vagina Monologues. In the future she'd love to become the next Miranda Priestly or the frontwoman in a girl-punk band.
Madi is a sophomore Fashion Communciations major at Lasell College. In addition to being a part of Her Campus, she is also a part of Empty Bowls and is a Peer Mentor. She loves Harry Styles, hanging out with friends, and thrift shopping.