This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Content warning: This article mentions topics relating to disordered eating and suicidal thoughts. Please read at your discretion. 

As the sun sets earlier and the days become shorter, it is common to feel less energetic and motivated. The decrease in sunlight that begins in autumn and lasts throughout winter can cause Seasonal affective disorder, also known as SAD. Seasonal affective disorder is a type of depression related to seasonal changes. However, there are ways to combat seasonal depression so it cannot get the best of you. Here are the symptoms of Seasonal affective disorder, as well as some tips for managing it. 

According to the Mayo Clinic, symptoms of seasonal depression include:

• Feeling listless, sad, or down most of the day, nearly every day
  • Losing interest in activities you once enjoyed
  • Having low energy and feeling sluggish
  • Having problems with sleeping too much
  • Experiencing carbohydrate cravings, overeating, and weight gain
  • Having difficulty concentrating
  • Feeling hopeless, worthy, or guilty
  • Having thoughts of not wanting to live

Now, here are some tips for managing seasonal depression. Much of the advice on this list comes from @strategistjas on Twitter. 

1. Vitamins:

One of the reasons seasonal depression may occur is the lack of sunlight during the fall and winter months. Our bodies produce Vitamin D when exposed to sunlight. Vitamin D supports the immune system, regulates moods, and helps battle depression. Taking a Vitamin D supplement can help you receive the benefits it provides even when the sun sets earlier. I take a Vitamin D3 supplement daily, and I find that it helps during the winter months. 

1.  Soak up as much sunlight as you can:

While a Vitamin D supplement can be beneficial, it is also crucial to get some actual sunlight. My roommate and I open our blinds during the daytime to let in as much natural light as possible. I have found that it helps us with our moods, so I can attest that this trick works. 

1. Get some fresh air:

The gut instinct is to stay inside when it’s cold, but getting fresh air can make you feel rejuvenated. My roommate and I also keep our windows cracked, and it prevents our room from feeling stuffy. 

1. Surround yourself with people who make you feel good:

Whether you stay in for a cozy night at home or go out to eat, spending time with the people we care about affects our mood. Offer to host a gathering or attend one at a friend’s house. You don’t even need to have concrete plans. My roommates and I often engage in “parallel play”, where we are all in the same room but are doing our own thing. Sometimes we talk, and other times we just enjoy each other’s company. 

1. Pick up a hobby:

It might sound cliché, but having a hobby or two will keep you stimulated and entertained. Whether it’s reading, crocheting, or buying a lot of succulents, having an activity you enjoy will help prevent boredom. You don’t have to be good at it, you just have to take pleasure in it. 

1. Maintain your personal hygiene:

Often when feeling depressed, personal hygiene becomes neglected. Something as simple as showering and brushing your teeth daily makes a huge difference. Being clean makes us feel better. If you do not have the energy to take a full shower, changing your undergarments or using deodorant wipes may be an easier place to start. 

1. Make sure to eat:

Our bodies need energy to function, so eating is important. You don’t have to eat healthily but put food in your body. Protein shakes and microwavable meals are the easiest way to start. It is also okay to order takeout once a week if you can. 

1. Practice mindfulness:

Your thoughts play a massive role in how you perceive the world. If you consistently have negative thoughts, your worldview will be as well. Embracing gratitude and practicing mindfulness will help to wash away these thoughts and replace them with positive ones. 

There is no cure for mental illness. However, preventing it from getting the best of you is possible.

Olivia Post

Lasell '26

Olivia Post is the President of the Her Campus at Lasell chapter. She oversees all matters relating to the chapter, from editorial content to on-campus events. Beyond Her Campus, Olivia is a student ambassador for the Blue Key Society at Lasell. She is currently a sophomore at Lasell University, studying Secondary Education and English with a minor in Spanish. In her free time, Olivia enjoys reading, playing video games, and spending time with her roommates. She can also be found working on her latest crochet project, or watching RuPaul's Drag Race.