cdc n3mn7IgtwS4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
cdc n3mn7IgtwS4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Life > Academics

A Day in the Life of a Sophomore Student Teacher

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Every Tuesday morning, my alarm goes off at exactly 5:45 a.m. Most days, I would not be up early but Tuesdays are special because I have my weekly student teaching placement. I am currently placed in a sixth-grade Language Arts classroom not too far from my college campus. Even though I’m awake before the sun, the thought of getting to work with my students has me out of bed before I can think of hitting snooze. 

Once I’m out of bed, I throw on my slippers and robe and grab my shower caddy. I try my hardest to not wake my roommates, but our door squeaks whenever we open it and I cringe as the sound pierces my otherwise silent floor. I then shuffle down the hallway into the bathroom where I slowly wake up while performing my elaborate skincare routine and brushing my teeth. When I get back to my dorm, I get dressed, having laid out my clothes the night before. I’ve had so much fun putting together fun outfits for student teaching – I enjoy the challenge of dressing semi-professionally while also maintaining elements of my style and personality. After getting dressed, I sit down at my desk to do my hair and makeup. I usually pick a podcast episode or YouTube video to listen to; my current favorites are Puppet History and The BCC Club with Sarah Schauer and Kendahl Landreth. Since I’m up so early, I get ready using my phone flashlight so I don’t blind my still-sleeping roommates with my desk lamp. I love the process of sitting down and doing my makeup, I find it to be very soothing and enjoyable. 

It’s 6:30 a.m. by the time I’m finished making myself look presentable. Now it’s time to pack my bag and get ready to leave. I try to pack things like my iPad and laptop the night before to save myself time in the morning. I also make sure to grab my wallet, chargers, and my JavaSok because we always stop for coffee on the way. I’ve also started bringing a lunchbox with snacks that I can eat while my students are at lunch and recess. Having a little snack halfway through my day keeps my energy up. I usually pack light things like yogurt, granola bars, and Goldfish. Before I leave, I make my bed and straighten up my desk. Then, I’m out the door!

I carpool with two other friends who student teach at the same school as me. They pick me up around 7:00 a.m., and we make a quick Dunkin’ stop before heading to our school. I always get my coffee and a breakfast sandwich, which I devour during our car ride. We talk during the drive, which isn’t bad when traffic is light. We arrive at the school around 7:50 a.m., giving us plenty of time to settle before students start trickling in. 

My host teachers give me an overview of the lesson for the day, and students begin arriving at 8:00 a.m. I greet them while drinking the rest of my coffee. After homeroom, it’s time for my first class of the day. We start the language arts lesson and I go around checking on students to make sure they’re doing okay. Sometimes, I stop to help them with a question or keep them on task. I love seeing the moment everything clicks for them and they understand the lesson! After language arts, we transition to social studies until it’s time for lunch at 10:30 a.m. I follow them to the cafeteria, where I have some of my snacks and catch up with my friends. Once lunch is over, we head outside for a quick recess where my students run around the playground and get their energy out before returning to class. 

It’s now 11:00 a.m., and I head back inside to see my second class. We start the same lesson as the first class, and I go from table to table checking on my students again. Eventually, it reaches 12:00 p.m. and it’s time to head back to campus. Once I’m back, I have a quick lunch before I have my weekly Her Campus meeting! I love getting to see my members every week and having fun while going over club updates. Our meetings end at 3:00 p.m., and I have another break before I have my ED309 class. This course is about supporting students who are English Language Learners, and I really enjoy it! After class, I eat dinner and shower before getting into bed and unwinding after my long day. I go to sleep happy with how the day went, knowing that I get to wake up the next day and do more of the things I love.

Olivia Post

Lasell '26

Olivia Post is the President of the Her Campus at Lasell chapter. She oversees all matters relating to the chapter, from editorial content to on-campus events. Beyond Her Campus, Olivia is a student ambassador for the Blue Key Society at Lasell. She is currently a sophomore at Lasell University, studying Secondary Education and English with a minor in Spanish. In her free time, Olivia enjoys reading, playing video games, and spending time with her roommates. She can also be found working on her latest crochet project, or watching RuPaul's Drag Race.