Style > Fashion

7 Thrifting Tips To Actually Find Hidden Treasures

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Shopping second-hand is not only beneficial for the environment, but for your wallet. However, when entering a thrift store, it can be very overwhelming. Here are a couple of tips for the next time you take a thrifting venture…

1. View Every Section of the Store

When visiting a thrift store, you never know what you can find. Look through the men, women, furniture, and children’s clothes. (Sometimes cute crop tops can be found in the kid’s section!) The excitement of finding something unexpected makes the thrifting trip all worth it! 

2. Try to Find Someone’s “Pile”

Often some people will collect together all the items they are considering purchasing. Most of the time, they will not purchase everything in their pile and leave it on the rack. If your eye stumbles on some clothes that do not fit the rack’s section, check it out and see what they were considering buying. 

3. Wear Fitted Clothing

It is rare to find a fitting room in a thrift store. If you wear fitted clothing, you are able to slip clothes over what you are already wearing and make sure it fits.

4. Don’t Overlook the Jewelry

In some thrift stores, the jewelry might be hidden or behind the counter. Jewelry is expensive, and getting it at thrift store prices can be a great deal. Check it out and see what you might find! When you get home, make sure you paint some clear nail polish over the jewelry to make it last longer and keep it from turning your skin green.  

5. Buy T-shirts from the Men’s Section

A great oversized look can come from t-shirts in the men’s section. The men’s shirts are often pretty humorous graphic tees that fit comfortably. The men’s shirts often cost less as well. 

6. Buy Holiday Decor 

Holiday decor is super expensive for only being around for a month. Check out some of the vintage seasonal items and see if there’s anything to decorate for the holidays. It often feels homier than buying new decor. 

7. Donate Your Old Clothes

Now that you have a new haul, make sure you give back! Donate some of the clothes you do not need anymore. 

Isabelle is a Sophmore Elementary Education major at Lasell! She also is working towards her minor in History. On campus, Isabelle is involved in HerCampus, Habitat for Humanity, Tomorrow's Teachers, and Empty Bowls. Her hobbies include yoga, listening to Taylor Swift, and thrifting!