This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Halloween is just around the corner everyone! What better way to celebrate than dressing up and going out?  With all of these student loans us college students have, and how expensive Halloween store costumes are, it is time to think creatively. These ideas are perfect if you don’t want to spend a lot of money or are planning for last minute.  DIY makeup costumes are trending all over Pinterest and Instagram, so here are a few to show you how easy they really are:

Scarecrow

The products used to achieve this look are eyeliner and lipstick and all you have to do is draw lines with the black eyeliner and fill them in with the peach lipstick.  For the eye look, just draw simple brown cut crease and paired it with a winged eyeliner.  This look was really simple and can be done in under 10 minutes. To get the complete look, pair with a straw hat and some overalls. 

Deer

The cute deer look is a crowd favorite. The same cut crease from the scarecrow makeup was also used in this one.  In order to get the look, bronzer was applied on the forehead and cheekbones.  Concealer was used as the dots over the bronzer.  For the nose, liquid eyeliner was drawn over the tip. To finish off the look, space buns and sticks were added to the hair.

Vampire

The vampire is a Halloween classic and usually paired with fangs and a cape.  When these items aren’t always at hand, it’s possible to be a vampire with just hints of makeup.  In order to make skin pale, pack on setting powder.  The dark smokey eye was achieved with black and red eyeshadow and lots of eyeliner.  To get the extra gothic look, line lips with eyeliner and filled in with a deep red.  A smudge of the lipstick was added to give a bloody ending.

Mermaid

Out of all of the looks done for this article, the hardest one to do was this mermaid look.  Most online tutorials include fishnets and airbrushed makeup, which isn’t something that’s always accessible.  For this look, use an angled crease brush, dark blue and dark purple eyeshadow, light blue eyeliner, and green concealer.  To create the “scales”, dot each product on forehead and cheekbones.  To add to the extreme mermaid, look, put blue eyeliner on the eyelids and filled in the brows and lips with the same liner.

Pop Art

This pop art comic book look is super retro and takes a really steady hand to achieve.  The white dots can be created using the same concealer used during the deer look.  All of the black lines can be created with eyeliner and may take a few times to get right.  Instead of liquid eyeliner being used like in the other looks, a black eye pencil was used.  Bright red lips were added to enhance the retro look and a single cartoonish teardrop was added and filled in with blue eyeliner. 

Harley Quinn

The hottest movie out this year is Suicide Squad and anyone who watches it wants to be Harley Quinn.  A regular full face of makeup was used.  To get the Harley Quinn look, smudge red eyeshadow on one eye and blue eyeshadow on the other eye.  Apply a small heart using liquid eyeliner below the red eye.  Bright red lips were applied and smudged in one corner.  Last step is to put your hair up in two pigtails just like the character and soon you’ll find yourself saying, “Come on, Puddin’!”

Skull

The last makeup look is a simple skull makeup. Try to make yourself as pale as possible using translucent setting powder, unless white face paint is available.  Once pale enough, apply a black and white smokey eye using eyeshadow.  Heavy liner is also encouraged.  The same eyeshadows used for the eyes were applied onto the lips, by first buffing white eyeshadow all over the lips.  Then, take a flat eye brush and make lines for the mouth.  Paired with skeleton leggings and a skeleton rib shirt and you’ll be all ready for Halloween!

Now that you have all the easy makeup inspiration it’s timed to get spooky and party!

(All photos my own, gif from giphy.com)

Madison Paloski is a senior at Lasell University studying fashion communication and promotion and graphic design.  She is currently the Editor in Chief of her school's chapter of Her Campus, an editorial stylist for POLISHED Magazine and Founder and Creative Director of the Fashion Styling and Photography Club on her campus.  She can most likely be found with an old film camera in hand, eating Chipotle, or at any local Saver's.  Her Instagram can be found at @maddiiiooyx and other work can be found at madisonpaloski.wixsite.com/portfolio.