13 Don’ts When Dealing with a Hostess

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

If you ever walk into a restaurant, whether it is fancy or not, keep in mind these tips when dealing with a hostess.

Don’t answer a question with a question

Hostess: “Did you have a chance to call ahead this evening?”

Patron: “Did I need to make a reservation?”

I mean, I wouldn’t have asked you if you had a chance to call ahead if you didn’t need to reserve a table.

Don’t assume the restaurant has room

“I see empty tables.”

You may see empty tables, but those tables are there for people who actually made reservations, or for whose reservations were before yours.

Don’t ignore the hostess.

Would you be annoyed if you welcomed someone into your home or place of work and they gave you the Don’t-Talk-To-Me-I-Hate-You face? Try greeting them back! You don’t even have to say words, just smile, that’s all

they ask for!

Don’t touch them.

I don’t know if this bother’s anyone else, but when a patron touches me I get a little freaked out. I don’t know you. In some situations, it could be alright, like if you’re such a frequent customer and I actually do know you.

But if you’re a first time diner, please refrain from putting your hands on me.

Don’t throw a fit when you arrive an hour late to your reservation and your table is given away

Technically after around 15 minutes of you not showing up for your reservation, you’re supposed to be “no showed.” So when you show up an hour late to your reservation and say, “Sorry we’re a little late,” don’t

be expected to be sat before people who actually showed up on time.

Don’t try to pick your own seat.

We’ll seat you where we seat you. You may want a booth, but someone may have requested a booth before you. Sorry.

Don’t name drop.

You’re best friends with the Kardashians? Your uncle is Arnold Schwarzenegger? So what? That’s not going to get you a table any faster. Your boss is a VIP and said you could drink his wine? Let me call him up and ask.

Don’t ask for a phone charger.

No, I don’t carry an iPhone 5 charger around with me. Here’s a solution: charge your phone before you go out, or don’t use you phone when you’re at a restaurant with your friends or family. I have more important things to

do than search high and low for a charger for you. Plus I’m probably using my charger. It’s like they say on an airplane, “Place your oxygen mask over your mouth before assisting others.” My phone before yours.

Don’t argue about the wait time.

When I say that there is a wait time of 30 minutes, that means the wait time is 30 minutes. I don’t care who you are. There were people here before you who had a reservation. Don’t check in with me every five minutes.

I’ll get you when we’re ready to seat you.

Don’t ask the hostess to get you a drink.

I just greet you at the door. It’s not my job to get you a drink. That’s what your waiter is paid to do, not me.

Don’t make a reservation for a party of 1.

This is the one thing that really gets on my nerves. People who make reservations for a party of one, or who walk in and say, “one please,” need to not do that. We have a limited amount of space, and you wanting to sit

in the dining room by yourself is taking up a table where we could fit up to four other people. Bars in restaurants serve the same menu, so go up there and eat!

Don’t show up 45 minutes before the restaurant opens.

If you made a reservation for 5PM, don’t show up at 4:15 and expect us to open the doors and let you sit. I’m confirming reservations and setting up the dining room. If I see you walking up to the door, I will run in the

coat closet so you think nobody is out front, hoping you walk away after reading the sign that clearly states we open at 5.

Don’t show up right before close.

If the restaurant closes at a certain time, and you walk in 5 minutes before it closes saying, “Just getting a quick drink at the bar,” feel free to go on up, but the bar tenders will tell you last call was 5 minutes prior to your arrival. The kitchen has also already closed, so please don’t try to get a table in the dining room.

Angela is a senior communication major with a concentration in public relations, and is double minoring in legal studies and sports communication. She studied in Washington, D.C. during the Spring 2016 semester. Angela has interned with McGovern Law and the Washington Ballet. She once was in the same press conference as President Obama. When not in class, she can be found in the Brennan Library studying, in the one of the gyms on campus or taking a nap. Angela is a sports lover, buffalo chicken enthusiast, and future master sommelier.