This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I have always been obsessed with packs of colorful pens. Every school year, I would find a new brand to try out in hopes of finding the perfect match. Along the way, I’ve encountered a bunch of poor-quality pens. Some were too thin or too inky, but others managed to become essential to my college career. 

Here are a few of my favorite colored pens, and why I think you might want them too!

BIC 4 Color Ballpoint – 1.0mm

Rating: 7/10

I had to start this list with a classical crowd favorite. I first saw these pens being used by my parents. We always had these pens laying around. When I started using this multi-colored pen by BIC, I knew I had to add it to my school essentials. It is pretty obvious that the reason I love this pen is because of the 4-in-1 functionality. I love how easy it is to switch between colored pens without having multiple writing utensils cluttering my workspace. Despite its convenience, I feel that BIC could make these with more color options. To my knowledge, there are three color combinations to choose from. With something as functional as these pens, it is more logical for me for BIC to have this available in more color assortments. 

Pilot FriXion Erasable ColorSticks – .07mm

Rating: 8/10

These pens write so smoothly, and who can resist an erasable pen? These pens are available in various colors and quantities. Pilot makes all kinds of pens, but these are one of my go-to’s. I find myself always digging through my pencil case for these when taking notes, because sometimes you’re writing so fast, and correcting a mistake with white-out can be more time-consuming. I think erasable pens are underrated and much more functional than a standard pen and white-out. The only issue I’ve encountered with these pens is that the ink tends to run out quicker than with your average pen. I think this has something to do with what makes the ink erasable, but who knows? They’re still tremendously handy to have on your supplies list. 

Pentel EnerGel Metal Tip – .07mm

Rating: 9/10

I am a sucker for thin, gel pens. Pentel’s Energel pens have been a staple piece in my school supplies since middle school. The metal tip is probably my favorite part about these pens, and I feel this is because it gives me more control when writing. Another thing I love about these gel pens is the rubbery grip. I am usually very particular about how pens feel when I’m holding them (so weird, I know). But, I feel that the grip is not too thick or too thin and again, allows more control when racing to copy notes down. The one thing I wish was different is the color options. In my experience, I have only been able to find these pens in packs of four to eight. Online, I’ve seen larger packs of 12 or 20, but I’ve seen nothing of that kind in stores. 

Hey There! My name is Mandy Brochhausen, and I am a Sophomore at Lasell University. I am a club editor, and I also work with the Marketing and Events teams. I'm majoring in English with a double minor in Creative Writing and Communications. I'm from Rockaway, New Jersey, and I love cats!