This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

What is a medium-distance relationship? It’s a partner that is too close to be called a long-distance partner but too far to go just casually one night and come home. I would consider this anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours from each other. While you can still see them within one day and return home, it’s not ideal to do so. Here are my tips for tackling a medium-distance relationship…

1. Plan weekends together

You should be alternating who comes to who on weekends. This doesn’t mean you have to reserve every weekend for each other! Take most weekends as time spent together doing something fun and planned or just watching movies and being in each other’s presence, but occasional weekends can be spent with other people like friends and family. Sometimes you can even bring your S.O. to those gatherings too.

1. Make the time you are together about each other

When you do see your S.O., make sure the time you spend together is fully engaged with each other. Whatever you are doing, make sure you are doing it together. Even if you have homework to do, make it a date! Sit together and do your own homework together. It can be little or big, just make sure it is together because you won’t see each other again for a little bit.

1. Surprise them every once in a while

Medium-distance relationships take planning to keep together, but if you add in some surprise elements you really keep your relationship light and fluttering with love. It also makes things more fun! You can do this by planning something on a weekend you want to hang out without your S.O. knowing. For example, you can communicate with their roommates or parents, depending on where they live, to come over and surprise them. Little surprises in a medium-distance relationship mean a lot more than you think.

1. Be open and communicative

They don’t necessarily know what goes on in your day-to-day life so make sure to give them updates even if they’re small and simple. Leave no room for an overthinker to spiral and be open in your life with them. Have strong communication skills to work together through things. 

1. Remember, a bad day is not a bad life

Some people have bad days and that is ok. You just have to remember that if they are having a bad day, it’s not always going to be like that. Make sure to comfort them instead of being sad about any ruined plans because of a bad day. Your partner comes before anything else. They should be your person, and if you cannot do these little things for them, it may not be your person. 

Most importantly, keep strong in your relationship. If you are meant to be together, then you won’t be mid- or long-distance forever. Keep loving your partner to the best of your ability so they never have to doubt your love!

Lasell University 2023 Fashion Design Women's Soccer Women's track and field