Why I chose Galentine’s over Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Galentine’s day is a new form of Valentine’s day supposed to be celebrated in the 13th February, it is a day to show some love for the girls in your life. Now first off I’m not single, there is someone I could have spent a romantic evening with however, I decided to put my girl friends first and have a complete pamper evening. For this we needed the essentials: wine, ice cream, face masks and a great movie.

It was the perfect evening filled with gossip, laughter and tears. With my girls I know I can talk about anything and share everything. Everyone needs those days where they just talk and let everything out and Galentine’s was the perfect night to do it. Also once the wine hits all sorts of dirty secrets are shared!

So why did I ditch the guy for my girls?

It’s simple- Valentine’s day is too overrated. Don’t get me wrong I am a total romantic but I can go on dates any time. Also who can really be bothered with all the hassle of Valentine’s day- you’ve got to find a card, spend money on a meal and present, shave your legs (and everywhere else), do your hair and makeup nicely. And let’s face reality, you do all of this only to be caught in the rain!

And, to be completely honest my girlfriends are single and I’m not going to be the girl who ditches them for a romantic evening when I know I will have equally as much fun, if not more fun with them.

I don’t need an excuse to show some love for my girls but it was the best night and I would highly recommend everyone do the same in the future and celebrate Galentine’s on the 13th or make a weekend of it and celebrate on the 14th too!

And in true Parks and Recreation style remember:

Student studying at Lancaster University, majoring in English language and minoring in Marketing and Linguistics. Interested in Beauty, Diet and Health.
Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!