Why Being Single Is Just Brilliant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

I hate to be the realist, but for a lot of us, Valentine’s Day can be awkward, depressing and lonely. It’s a day we imagine is filled with countless tubs of ice cream (eaten alone, in one sitting) and heartfelt renditions of sad songs. It’s a day us singletons might spend looking out of rain spotted windows really dramatically, longing for any sign of affection other than a sympathetic hand tap from our mothers.

But are relationships really all they’re cracked up to be? Do those of us who actually have a significant other really enjoy Valentine’s Day? Because from my point of view, the whole palaver looks pretty stressful.

See, with every ‘romantic’ gesture, there’s likely to be a potential difficulty. Flowers for example, what if he/she is allergic?! Fun’s over if they’re sneezing all over the place due to your inconsiderate gift. What if you accidentally buy them chocolates that may contain nuts? They might not even have an allergic reaction – they might just hate nuts. What do you do then? Buy them cake? Eat them yourself? Cry? No, see, it’s all just too much. When you’re single, you know exactly which flowers and chocolates to buy. Because they’re for you.

That’s another thing; cost. We singletons don’t have to spend a single penny for Valentine’s Day if we don’t want to. While the others are out buying gifts, rose petals, cards, hotel rooms, we can rest comfortably in the knowledge that we’re saving a small fortune (as well as a s**tload of effort).

Plus, do you really want to be that couple that everyone looks at in disgust when you’re displaying your affections in the middle of the car park? Because you will be that couple. ALL COUPLES are that couple. Save yourself from the sheer embarrassment of being that couple, and just be free! Yes, I bet its lovely to have someone to share everything with, to be yourself with, but isn’t that what friends are for? Get yourself some of those instead, they’ll last much longer.

Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!