Switch Up Your Skincare For Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Our skin is very sensitive and as soon as the colder weather starts to arrive, often our skin will start to dry out and for some of us that can cause dry patches or even breakouts. It is important to change up our skincare routine so that our skin stays hydrated. I have oily skin and it is a common misconception that people with oily skin shouldn’t use oils or moisturiser. I will explain why this isn’t true and I’ll also provide some alternative products for people who have drier skin.

Morning routine:

Cleanser

In the morning I keep my routine really simple, purely because I am normally running out to a lecture.

I will use “Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water for Sensitive skin” as it helps to get rid of any oil that has built up over night and removes those tiny amounts of makeup that seem to always be left on your face no matter how much makeup remover you use! It is really gentle and easy to sweep across the face with a cotton pad.

Moisturiser

Even though it is Autumn and the sun doesn’t appear as often, it is important to still wear an spf. My favourite moisturiser at the moment is “Botanics Mattifying Day Cream with spf15”. I love this because it contains Willowbark which helps to clarify skin and keep shine at bay. For those of you with dryer skin Botanics does amazing skin care products and has options for all skin types. Another must have for me in the morning is lip balm. I don’t know what happens to my lips in Autumn but they get so dry. The only product I can find which combats this is “Carmex Lip Pot Original”.

Evening:

Cleanser

There has been so much hype about Cleansing Oils and I was scared of them, as I was worried they would leave an oily residue on the skin, however I couldn’t have been more wrong. The one I use is “The Body Shop Camomile Silky Cleansing Oil” which you simply remove with a Muslin Cloth. It has converted me from using makeup wipes, as it is so quick and easy and leaves no excess oil on the skin.

I follow it with “Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water” to act a bit like a toner and remove any last bits of makeup.

Eye cream

I am really lazy with eye cream, but skincare experts say that even having 30 minutes less sleep than we are meant to can cause our eyes to dry out which leads to wrinkles.  I know at university we all stay out until the early hours of the morning and rely on coffee instead of sleep to get us through the day! I use Boots Simply Sensitive Hydrating Eye Cream.

Serum

This is a step I have only just introduced. I find that it helps to gently exfoliate the skin at night and it really improves the skins texture and smoothness. It also helps to fight spots as it contains Salicylic Acid.

Oil

The final step is my favourite, especially in the colder months: facial oil. I always avoided face oil because I thought it would just sit on the skin and make my skin oilier. In fact, facial oil can help improve oily skin because it helps to balance the skin. The one I currently use is “B. Replenished Facial Oil” which is available in Superdrug. I have also used “Sanctuary Therapists Facial Oil” which I think would be better for dryer skin types as it is a bit more hydrating.

Student studying at Lancaster University, majoring in English language and minoring in Marketing and Linguistics. Interested in Beauty, Diet and Health.
Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!