New Year’s Resolutions You Should Be Making

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

It’s 2016 and the unanimous epiphany of change has filled newsfeeds with the usual ‘new year, new me’ posts which, sadly, evolve into diets, gym memberships and life plans that then begin to dwindle after a couple of weeks. Please, forgive my cynicism as I do love the idea of wanting to improve ourselves; I just see the difficulty of achieving these improvements rooted in the usual resolutions we set. Therefore, to tackle this, I have comprised a selection of alternative resolutions for you to try out!

Get Healthier!

Instead of choosing the over-used ‘lose weight’ resolution (usually made with the side quest of dieting) why not try be generally healthier? What is the difference you may ask- the difference is mind-set! Starting the year with the idea of eating one salad and a grape once a day, every day to lose weight and drop 6 dress sizes by summer can crank up the pressure a little high. This high pressure is more likely to cause you to drop the Resolution all together or, if you go through with it, make you unwell. The alternative resolution to be healthier means more exercise and healthier eating (not less eating) – allowing you to lose weight if that’s your intention, get fitter and through the release of dopamine and endorphins through exercise- boost morale!

Cutting Down on…

This could be anything, smoking, drinking, eating pizza… whatever. The key to this resolution is having an achievable goal! Let’s face it, telling yourself and everyone you come into contact with within the month of January (as Resolution Inquiries become the number one ice-breaker at this time of the year) that you are going to ‘TOTALLY QUIT’ whatever it is you’re quitting, means you’re setting up for disaster. Harsh goals with no time-scales aren’t going to get you anywhere; so try dropping a cig a day every week until summer, or have a take away once a week, then every fortnight- and so on.

Doing More Good Deeds

If you’re looking for a way to better yourself this is a good thing to try. If you tell yourself to try and do one good deed a day you’ll start to feel better. Now I’m not expecting you to replace your sister in the Hunger Games here- giving money to the homeless, fundraising, speaking to someone on their own or simply smiling at someone who looks sad are all ways to brighten someone’s day. Your confidence will improve and it sometimes helps to put your problems into perspective.

Try New Things!

This resolution is my favourite and it’s one I’m trying for this year. For me, a fussy-eater and vegetarian, food is my focus. I’m aiming to try cheese, as I have found through countless convoluted eye-brow configurations, not eating pizzas is a bad thing- as is not eating crisps, omelettes, butter etc. But you’re not restricted to trying new foods, try a new music genre or a new language- stretch yourself and who knows, you might like it!

Travel!

Now here I’m not talking a luxury cruise or an all-inclusive holiday to Benidorm. Why not set a resolution to learn about another culture by staying in a less-tourist infested area and trying to speak to some locals and get an insight into their lifestyle. Plus, you can ensure to fulfil this resolution by booking a trip whilst in the honeymoon phase of the New Year where motivation for change is still high. The holiday deals are already on so book a bargain and go see some of the world!

Appreciate yourself!

This is an unusual resolution but one that I think many more people should consider. When it gets to New Year’s Eve, most people are deciding on resolutions to make them ‘better’ people and to improve upon themselves. But we often forget that day-to-day life already has its struggles and we need to appreciate how much we achieve and how awesome we are already. Why not try in 2016 looking back on your day with a proud eye? Maybe you gave up your seat on the bus for someone else, or decided to go to that lecture you couldn’t be bothered with or cooked dinner instead of ordering a take-away? These little things are indicators of how awesome you are- so notice them!

.
Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!