Monday Morning Motivation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

So, it’s the beginning of a new year and possibly a new you, but one thing is for certain… It’s the beginning of a new term, with new lectures, new assignments, and new exams!

It can seem pretty daunting to be back at uni after a nice long holiday, whether you spent it relaxing or revising.  Those lucky ladies like me (sorry!), who spent pretty much the whole month relaxing, spending time with family and friends and, most importantly, eating, have now got a sudden snap back to reality.  On the other hand, the unfortunate souls who have had exams to revise for, assignments to write, and part-time jobs to attend, it can feel like there was no break at all!

In January, we can all find an excuse to be blue, whether you’ve already given up on your new year’s resolutions, the cold is bringing you down, or you’re up to your ears in work, it’s definitely not my favourite time of year.  But, unlike the miserable bear in the John Lewis Christmas advert (is it too soon to be talking about Christmas again?), you cannot go into hibernation, because here I am!  I am the annoyingly chirpy hare who’s going to hide an alarm clock in your room and get you up and motivated for the new term… *smiles sweetly*.

Motivational Tip No. 1: Get up earlier!

Now, chances are you’re not going to like the sound of this one, but getting up earlier in the morning really does boost your mood.  Spending too long laying in bed, sleeping or not, can make you feel groggy. I bet  you’re probably going to feel frustrated when the day seems to end before it’s even started, and you haven’t achieved what you hoped to. Set your alarm, drag yourself out of bed and straight into the shower, brush your teeth and grab a coffee and you’ll feel a thousand times better. Better yet, you’ll actually be able to get on with your day before the afternoon approaches!

Motivational Tip No. 2: Have a spring clean

How great does it feel at the start of the academic year, when you’ve got all your new pens, folders, pads, you name it, you’ve got it.  And it’s all beautifully organised, labelled, and colour coded… Just me?  By January, your folders are probably bulging, possibly broken, and definitely lacking organisation.  Sort out your sheets, chuck out the junk you’ve kept hold of “just in case it comes in handy”, wipe the dust off your shelves and get it all back into order.  You’ll feel much more willing to revise when it’s all organised clearly, and you’ll get that motivated first-day-feeling back!

Motivational Tip No. 3: Do some exercise

Exercise releases endorphins into your bloodstream which make you feel good.  By getting out at least once a week and going for a walk, jog, skip, whatever it may be, you’ll increase your mood to no end.  With Refreshers fair coming up next week, it’s your perfect chance to get signed up to a society or sports club and give a new sport a try.  While you’re at it, you should probably cut down on greasy, fatty food, too, because it can really make you feel bloated and groggy, and you won’t want to work if you’re not feeling your best.

Motivational Tip No. 4: Write lists

I’m the sort of person that keeps a pen and paper (well, my mobile phone) beside my bed and writes notes all through the night about things I’ve thought of and don’t want to forget.  If you’re constantly trying to juggle all the things you’ve got to do in your head, you’re more likely to give up on all of them and watch TV.  Write a list of all the things you need to do, whether it’s work-related or cancelling your Netflix membership, then prioritise and work through them, one at a time. You’ll feel super organised, and it’s a great feeling when you can look back at all the things you’ve achieved!

Naomi-Jayne is a 20-year-old student at Lancaster University, majoring in English Language and Linguistics. She's passionate about animals, with an eclectic mix of pets back at home at her picturesque Suffolk smallholding, and loves to spend time relaxing with her boyfriend and her large family. Njay is looking towards a career in advertising and publicity.
English Language and Sociolinguistics student at Lancaster University. Writer, editor and soon to be teacher.Campus Correspondent for HC Lancaster: emilyhaigh@hercampus.com.Instagram: emilykatehaighTwitter: EMHAIGHx